HybridZ

1978 Datsun 280Z Turbo Build

Hey everyone. I'm new to the site and also new to Datsuns. I've always liked the look of them and finally got one a couple weeks ago. It is an extremely clean car. The car came as a package deal, including a l28et with ecu and wiring harness and a five speed transmission. The car currently has the naturally aspirated 2.8 and a 5 speed transmission installed. So I have two engines and two transmissions. Right now the turbo engine is on a engine stand waiting for me to get to it. But I'm not sure where to start and what all to do so I'm looking to you all for guidance through this build. I don't plan on tearing into the engine and rebuilding it. I only plan to remove the valve cover for painting. Than the engine will get serviced. New oil, new spark plugs, spark plug wires etc. Now I've read about T3/T4 Hybrid turbos. If someone could explain how that works I would be extremely grateful. But anyway this is kind of the list of possible mods. Open to suggestions. And I should add now that this is my first time working with a turbo engine

60mm throttle body off of 240sx

T3/T4 Hybrid Turbo

3" exhaust with high flow muffler

Intercooler

New fuel lines and fuel pump ???

New injectors ???

Blow off valve

Boost Gauge and Boost Control

Reflash ECU

New brakes and suspension

Any other suggestions? The current engine has a cold air intake so I plan to incorporate that with the turbo system. Also what do you guys suggest for bumpers and air dam? Thanks again!!

post-45845-0-22889100-1408675710_thumb.jpg

post-45845-0-34014000-1408675738_thumb.jpg

post-45845-0-10940500-1408675775_thumb.jpg

post-45845-0-17187400-1408675814_thumb.jpg

post-45845-0-92272400-1408675842_thumb.jpg

post-45845-0-08397000-1408675869_thumb.jpg

post-45845-0-51597600-1408675872_thumb.jpg

Firstly, Welcome! And nice pick up, that z looks to be in great shape. 

But like you will quickly learn here (like most of us did, including myself) people are going to bash you on not using the search bar. All your questions can be found by reading through the correct sections for your questions. And we really cant lend that much advice without knowing your power goals, which is why its best for you to sort through the forum and read up on threads that sound close to what you're going for, you'll learn a lot this way as well. Check out the fuel delivery section for your questions on the injectors, fuel lines and fuel pump. Although i think for your l28 swap the fuel lines already in place should be sufficient for now.

Now, about the bumpers that is something i can give a suggestion on. Maybe ditch the ugly bulky ones for the thin 240z style bumpers? I think the car would look great by just doing that. If you go under the vendors sections theres a member on there who sells 280z to 240z bumper conversion brackets. Then all you need is bumpers you can buy used ones or you can buy new ones they sell fiberglass or carbon versions on msa.

Or you can just delete them completely like many people do, I'm just a fan of the bumpers though  

Edited by LegnaZetr0

Oh I didn't know the ECU won't reflash. It'll probably be alright as I'm not going extremely crazy with mods right? And the reason for not using the search bar is that I plan to post my progress through the project on here. Was just looking for some quick questions before I got started. And I definitely hate the ugly bulky bumpers. As for power goals I'd like to get around 230 hp and have a good suspension setup. Thanks for the replies!!

Any suggestions for intercoolers? There are two pretty good deals on my local craiglist. Which do you think would work better? One is a JDM Intercooler. Other is Isuzu NPR Intercooler. I've heard good stuff about the NPR Intercooler but I personally like the size and look of the JDM better. Plus with the JDM I would still be able to run my CAI for the turbo at the front of the car. JDM is $50. NPR is $100. By the way I should be starting the build this weekend!! Going to pull the valve cover for painting. Adjust the valves. Then pull oil pan and check bearings. 

post-45845-0-76752700-1409018589_thumb.jpg

post-45845-0-89072900-1409018590_thumb.jpg