HybridZ

77 280Z, wont idle below 2000 RPM...

JoeinCA

Hey guys,

I just got my 280Z running after about....4-5 months of being in peices. I have a gallon of bad gas, and a gallon of good gas, mixed with a bit of fuel stabilizer and fuel system cleaner. The problem is, is that at start up it seems to be normal for a bit, idleing at 1500 RPM for the cold start, then about 5-7 seconds after starting it jumps to 2000 RPM and wont go below it. ive tried adjusting the idle screw, but it doesnt seem to have any effect....

Would this be caused by the bad gas? i would think that it would idle low and run like crud, but instead it has high idle, and good throttle response. It is probably something simple, But after rebuilding the car, i'm a little fried in the troubleshooting department...

thanks for any help or insights you can provide, I'm sure i know what the problem is (somewhere in my head), but i need someone to help me pull the trigger. :rolleyes:

Joe.

Never mind, I'm an idiot...

I went and looked at the design of the idle adjust screw, and realized i had it backwards, i was thinking about the idle adjust system on a completely different engine... CW raised idle, and ccw lowered...excuses excuses excuses malebitchslap.gif

yeah... now to get those headlights working... and turn signals... and patch the hole in the floor... and and and..

have a good day everyone,

Joe

Guest Anonymous

Strange: My Z would idle at 2000 RPM at random times. The problem was that the water temp would max out the guage (i assumed it was malfunctioning because it would max out in 60' weather) because the radiator was a gallon low on fluid bonk.gif how that happend with NO leaks is an utter mystery :mad::mad: . But on fuel injected Z's the high idle is switched to the water temperature. I have heard of racers using stock electronics swapping in a hotter sensor to take advantage of this effect; apparently it gives higher performance as well.

Just some useless trivia. But if your problem is like mine was, you may have just thought you fixed it and its really hiding. SO beware.

Thanks for the tip...

My radiator is a bit low on coolant i am sure though... i dont think i had it running long enough to reac operating temperature.

now to top off with oil, fiddle with installing a new side view mirror, and bleed the clutch again...then see if she is road worthy...

Oh well at least the stereo works good :-)

thanks,

Joe