HybridZ

LS/LQ Swap Logistics

I am in the research stage of my next project. I will be putting a v8 into a 70's model Datsun Z car. I am trying to decide the best route to go in terms of blocks.
I am considering either an LS1, LQ4/9, or LS2. As you all know there are several ways to go about getting started. I can either find a donor vehicle be it a Camaro, trans am, Chevy Express van, Chevy 2500, etc (LS2 donor vehicles are out due to cost). Buy a used block from someone locally, or buy a new block. Problem is the donor vehicles are getting hard to find and the prices have dramatically increased, as people have started to figure out what they have. Just wondering what direction you all would jump in.
My goals are to make this a weekend track car, but would like it to be as reliable as possible. Because of this the iron blocks weight might be a down fall. They are much easier to find and parts appear plentiful so I am wondering if the cheaper build cost will be worth the weight in the long run. I know its only an extra 80 or so lbs. Im hoping that it can be countered in suspension tuning. Thoughts?
I do not have an overall power goal or budget for the car, but would like to be as cost effective as possible as my funds are not endless by any means. I am still in the process of researching what heads to go with but I know that will depend on what block I end up with. Hopefully yall will have some awesome input. Thanks in advance.

Be patient and keep looking for a Camaro or Firebird. If possible get a '99 or newer. The '98 block was not as well done as the later ones, although I have a '98 and it's been just fine for 10 years now. I definitely vote for an aluminum block no matter which way you go. You'll find that the car will actually end up heavier in the rear than the nose. Plan the whole project first - engine, transmission, rear end, suspension, brakes, wheels & tires. If you make all those decisions up front with thorough research you'll only have to do it once and that will save time and money.