HybridZ

Help!!! Which block do I have?

Z_Dust

About a year ago I purchased a rebuilt 77z from the local Nissan dealer that they had at their show room. Paint job is exellent, no rust, not even around the battery tray. The interior was redone, carpets, seats, air vents, knobs, door pannels etc... Great car for a serious restoration project.

Since I got it I have done suspension upgrades, installed disk brakes on the back, 5 spd tranny, centerforce II clutch, headers, exhaust, big throttle body and off course...music.

OK lets get to the point. The engine was rebuilt by nissan and it is in very good condition. I noticed that the head is a P79 and the engine block is an L28 with a six digit serial number which means it is a 75 or later. Apparently they used the engine from an earlier 280z. How can I tell (without tearing it apart) what kind of block I have. If it is a F54 with flat pistons I would like to mate it to a N47 head to get more compression. Compression is at 175 accross all six and there are absolutely no leaks.

If you stand on the drivers side of the car and look down on the block next to the motor mount, you will see an engine code. Use a flashlight. Remember this, engine code is on the bottom drivers side of the block, and the head code is on the top passenger side. Cheers.

Thanks for the info David K.

I have an F54 block with an P79 head. I will try to get an N47 head to improve compression. I choose to use the N47 with round ports cause it matches the headers that I just bought a few months ago.

According to the info that D Carrow (Hibridz member) pointed to, I can increase compression ratio considerably just by using the N47 head instead of the P90.

So guess what? I will