HybridZ

What heads have i got?

The casting number is 8647041.

Vizard says the 041 casting is from 69 70 high po motors but the whole casting number he has in the book was different. Can anyone out there advise if these heads are any good. They have 2.02/1.6 valves and have been ported. The previous owner decribed them as "fuelie spec". I am making a to do list and would like to know if these will make the 400 odd hp i am looking for?

Thanks,

Douglas icon_razz.gif

hay ZROSSA. I looked in my book SBC parts interchange Manuel by Ed Staffel, Couldn't find that part number . The closest PN# was 3947041 . It said it's 69 to70 model year. There should be a date code under the casting number. Like 1 11 8 . All info i'm relaying i'm quoting from my book. So I just don't know for sure? Anybody out there that can shed some lite to ZROSSA? icon_confused.gif

Guest Anonymous

I'm striking out also. My SBC casting guide has 6272070 and then 10110810. Are we sure we are using the correct #'s? Basically I can't find a head casting # that starts with an "8". 3 maybe, there are alot of those. Maybe they are hyper rare Trans Am series one off factory race pieces( icon_rolleyes.gif )!! Check the # one more time let us know if you think that they are the right #'s. Be waiting... flamedevil.gif

Allrighty then. I have looked again and i thought that the number was 8847041. those first two numbers are hard to read though and it could very well be a 3 or a 9. I think that there lies my answer.

Thank YALL for your help.

Douglas

Guest Anonymous

If the # is really a 3947041 then they are 302(69-69) 327 (68-69) or 350 (68-70) hi perf cylinder heads. The odds are they are 1.94 valve unless they came off a 360 or 370 horse 1970 350. All heads came with 63.5cc chambers. These are good heads for an iron, stock cylinder head. With mild port work 400 hp I believe is completely possible. Oh, the 302 also had 2.02 heads. Good score!! I really advocate the idea of spending money on aluminum cyl. heads but when you score like this I'm into the Chevy vitage iron!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Anyone ever seen flow numbers for pocket ported 462/461, etc. any fuelie heads? The ports are all pretty close from what I've read.

I have a set of 461s w/ 2.02/1.60s that have been pocket ported, intake matched and have a 3 angle valve job. The shop wants $75 to flow 2 ports, and I'm thinking this info MUST be out there somewhere, and I can keep my $75 (which won't make me go any faster anyway).

Guest Anonymous

On the front of early chevy heads is a shape, if its double humps its probably the fuely heads (named for the corvette they originally came from with rochester mech fuel injection).

If it has a block with a v spike, it would be powerpack heads which flowed a bit less. But if it has 2.02's and its been ported and the chamber isn't to big, I can't see it being a problem in getting 400 hp.

There has been of course better head technology since then, but you could do much worse, they were the best of they're day and still perform admirably, I'd personally have no problem using them.

BTW, I had no luck with that number either...

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

To get a better look at the casting number, you could always put a piece of paper over it and just run a pencil across it to uncover the number, might be a little easier to see it that way... (or just sand the casting number with sandpaper so its easier to read if the paint build up makes it difficult).. Just a thought. icon_smile.gif

Regards,

Lone