HybridZ

Nissan Big Bore kit how strong???

Guest 280Tom'z

Guest 280Tom'z

i was wondering how strong the nissan 2.8 big bore kit is will it stand up to boost and nitrous i figure going that route instead of tryin to put together my own and then worryin about if any thing is wrong is crank, rods, pistons and so on and when i say boost and nitrous im talkin T4 or bigger runnin 20+psi and at least a 50 shot

The 3.1 kit is made from Nissan components, so it is very stout. But if you are going to run 20psi of boost, I think a stock L28ET long block is stronger.

I think you'd be better off finding a low mileage L28ET long block, and use the money left over for a big turbo, intercooler, and programmable engine management.

There are people out making over 400HP with a stock long block in the above configuration.

Pete

Guest 240hybrid

I consulted MSA on the installation and durability of their Big Bore 3.1 kit and they said its a good kit, but have heard/seen people sling rods eek2.gif out the side of the motor first time they took the car out with the newly built 3.1.

So make sure you take great care in doing it.

but have heard/seen people sling rods out the side of the motor first time they took the car out with the newly built 3.1.

Food for thought on that comment. First, the Nissan Kit is the same parts most of us use when we gather up all the individual "parts". The LD28 crank, the L24 rods, and the KA24E pistons,(which are cast). That is what MSA provides you, along with I believe bearings and rings.

So strength wise, it should be the same as the used parts you can pick up assuming no previous problems with the parts.

Now, as for the above quote, I feel that is likely the result of poor building and poor break-in/overreving vice poor materials.

Just my thoughts having driven one for a while.

As far as what you will run, take a close look at what James T and Jeff P have done with their strokers to get big power. James had his rods extensively prep'd among other things and Jeff went with a slighly smaller bore,(to make it a 3.0L vs a 3.1L).

I think they will survive boost and nitrous fine, assuming you do it smart. Good prep on all the parts, and you don't overload their capacity. If you are looking for over 600hp, I suggest aftermarket rods and pistons regardless. Actually, I'm not sure I would keep the stock cast pistons past about 400 hp on boost, esp. with nitrous. Not saying it can't be done, but rather you may find yourself replacing pistons more often than you like if something goes lean or the ratio gets mixed up.

Shop around, and you can find the price of custom rods and forged pistons not much above new stock nissan parts.

-Bob

Guest 240hybrid

Im not doubting the quality of the parts provided by MSA, thats why I said "so make sure you take great care in doing it" after that above quote.

So I agree with you bobh that its quality of the work done on the build of the motor.

Chase

I understood that, but I guess didn't show it in my reply.

My main point is that is misrepresentative by MSA about the kit without more details. Even with brand new parts, they were never originally designed to work together, and need to be balanced, prep'd etc...

So your last comment holds esp. true: Make sure you take great care in building it, regardless of which route.

-Bob