HybridZ

280zx distributor and setup

s1rabbit

82 and 83 use the E12-92 ignition module which has a circuit to advance the timing using a thermal switch.  You'd need to jump that or leave it open, I'm not sure which.  Not a big deal but might need consideration.  Don't forget to get the mounting plate also, Nissan changed them when they designed the ZX distributor.

And you might look through the electrical chapters of the FSM's to see how  the timing advance curves compare to your 240Z curves.  They'll be different and will affect the way the engine performs.  There's more to a distributor swap than just bolting it in and connecting wires.  If you can't find a ZX distributor, you might consider a 260Z or 280Z distributor with a GM HEI module.

How did the old one fail?  Can't you fix it by changing the points?

Edit - here's some stuff on the E12-92 module.  http://community.ratsun.net/topic/56630-e12-92-retard-or-no-retard/

Edited by NewZed

It came loose on one side of the clamps that hold the cap in place and going into a huge puddle on the freeway caused rapid misfiring. So I'm sure it shocked a few electrical components. Thankfully the car still turns on and the alternator and starter are still fine. I've always wanted to upgrade my ignition system and get a zx distributor so it's finally my chance to do it.

Just wanted to swing by hybrid forum and see of anyone had spares laying around. Thank you for posting those links and referring me to them, I will take it into consideration to study them.