HybridZ

high tec coatings

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have been researching all these coatings for my new bussness adventure. Has anybody tried any of these and do you have any feedback? There are dry film lubes to bake on your piston skirts, and hi-po coatings for valve faces,piston tops and combustion chamber domes, ceramic coatings for just about anything you want to coat, and some black coatings that work even better on exhaust than the ceramakrome. I am going to have to dig very deep, financially to do this right, so speak up guys and give me some input on these products. Tony

------------------

74 260, sbc 350, 700r4, and a few little HP Mods.just gettin started good.My ceramic and other high tec coatings bussiness will be up & running very soon

About the only one I have really used is Molybdinum disulphide. It has a grayish appearance, and is often used on Parker compression fittings as a lubricant. Well it certainly does its job well. About the only place I can think of to use it would be on bolt threads, maybe exhaust bolts or other hard to remove items...

------------------

Drax240z

1973 240z - L28TURBO transplant on the way!

http://members.xoom.com/r_lewis/datsun.html

Guest Anonymous

Not sure about the hondas, but I am looking into everything I can, Some of the promotional lit on these coatings say they coated the exhaust manifold and the pipes to the mufflers on a cat deisel in a simi, and added about 40 HP. The average part life on internal engine componants increased from 2 to 10 times after coating. Reported drops of under hood temps of 30 TO 40 degrees. Sounds real good , but I am a skeptic, I am going to get my own numbers within the next few weeks before I fan the fire to much.

------------------

74 260, sbc 350, 700r4, and a few little HP Mods.just gettin started good.My ceramic and other high tec coatings bussiness will be up & running very soon

Just a small comment on coating internal engine parts. Make sure the coating that you use internally isn't something that will repel oil. (ie: Teflon) Some other lubricants might as well. Oil is used for cooling as well in the engine, and if the oil is repelled off the part, it can't cool it very well. Sounds like a great little buisiness project you have started!

------------------

Drax240z

I was a regional manager with Quaker State, and it's good to see that some people know what motor oil is required to do. Lube is obvious, cooling and cleaning and keeping contaminents suspended is just as important.I know Amoco has been trying to make a block of plastics, but not working yet. They think they are close. Industry says a full ceramic sealed block (lubed by water) is very close, but I've heard that for 10+ years now. There is a lot of research in your area going on, and a lot of claims. Most people I've talked to are skeptical. I think it will happen.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks Drax,, from what I gather so far , all the internal coatings have been extensivly researched and field tested for specific applacations, and pose no problems with oil or cooling, all indications are that an overall cooling effect will result. They even have products for the internals of top fuel and other ultra high output powerplants. I will know first hand before I squeek to much.

------------------

[This message has been edited by takman57 (edited May 06, 2000).]

So where will this buisiness be located? smile.gif I think I might make use of you if we can manage to get around customs charges somehow.

If anyone is interested I have compiled some information on why NOT to use polytetrafluoroethylene tongue.gif (PTFE = teflon) in an engine on my website. Follow the link at the bottom.

------------------

Drax240z

Guest Anonymous

I am located in azle tx. Thats just a few clicks n.w. of ft.worth. I hope when it is all said and done I will be able to offer these services at a low enough rate to offset any shipping charges, At least that is the plan, I'll just have to see how deep into my pockets this little adventure takes me, but I aint gonna try to get it all back at one time by price gouging. I would like to have the rep of providing a top quality service at a modest price, and of course all my fellow Z guys here will recieve an additional break once I get rolling

------------------

Guest Anonymous

There are some places that you would want to repell oil, for instance, bottom of your manifold, the beam portion of the rods , windage trays ect.. to facillitate faster oil return to the sump. I will be offering these products as well.

Takman, lots of the high end engine builders also coat the top of the pistons with a highly reflective/gold like coating to

reflect heat away from the piston. this is used in many cases to keep the heat down

when you spray the car with NOS.. I do not know what it is called but i have a buddy

that spent the money to have it done...

check into it!

Takman, BTW my dad is a distributor for

all types of automotive service equipment

if you are looking fo a deal on anything let me know.. he sometimes gets screaming deals on repo's of lifts, both 2 and 4 post,

wheel balancers, tire changers, brake lathes, anything that you see in a

automotive shop he has or can get at great

prices.. i think he has a couple of used 2 post lifts right now the he wants to move... let me know if you need anything!

Guest Anonymous

Yes I am familiar with the piston coating, It will also be included in my services, You can also do the valve faces with the same coating as well as the combustion chamber dome. and as an added bonus ya coat the skirt as well as the valve stem with a fired on dry film lube and It has been reported to extend part life 2 to 10 times. I am PUMPED, I have been burning the midnight oil to research all of these products, They all have an excellent track record. Many have been used for years by top race teams but not advertised as not to loose their supposed edge. There are rubbing lubes that need not be fired on to treat cyl. walls, that go on so thin (15 mil. of an inch)that they dont fill the crosshatch. As a matter of fact they seem to aid in the break-in of rings. there are no tolorence changes, but every engine is different, and you can useally run less total timing and lower your idle. Kewl Stuff man!!

[This message has been edited by takman57 (edited August 09, 2000).]