HybridZ

Question about v10

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Just wondering if anyone has tried or is planing to try to set a v10 in a zcar ??

I Know it's cost alot more that the car worth, but it would be one bad machine.

Thanks

Guest Anonymous

I was throwing around the idea of a V12 for a few minutes a while ago. It would be cool but the only reason somebody would ever put it in is because of bragging rights. They are heavier (this includes the V10), generally have either the same, or less displacement (at least with the Jags), and really won't fit well. They also don't produce as much power as one would associate with a V10 or 12. If you are doing it purely because of the look factor...go for it...it owuld be really cool. If you are doing it because you think there is more power to be had in a V10 than in a V8, try again. A Chevy SB can be built with TONS of power in a package that is comparitively small and lightweight. It all depends on what you want to do I guess.

SpencZ

MonsterZ Cont.

Guest Frank280z

A friend of mine works at a local speed shop. They carry the viper crate engines for 15k. Less wiring harness. If I had the money I would definitely do it.

Frank280z

• 4 years later...
Guest jimhalsey

I am in the process of building a 72 240 Z. The car will be stock appearing but will be powered by a Viper crate motor and will use a T56 6 speed and R200 rear. Most major fabrication is complete, motor and trans in car, new chrome moly front cross member, engine set back 4 inches to get engine behind cross member and down in the chassis. Firewall recessed, trans tunnel reshaped to accomodate the T56. Viper motor is 505 lbs fully dressed with clutch, flywheel, starter, alternator, A/C compressor, power stg pump and sepentine accessory drive. Stock tubular headers fit nicely, the collectors need to be rotated to face the rear. Have run two box section rails back through the floor to tie the front and rear together for stiffness. Also will soon have the 10 pt roll cage in and then i can go looking for seats to fit. Full road race coil over and tubular control arm setup from Arizona Z with 6 piston Wilwood calipers in front, 4 piston in rear, 5 bolt aluminum hubs. Car will have power windows, A/C, stereo, full cell, headlight covers, louvered hood, fire suppression system, otherwise stock appearing. Will run Fluidyne aluminum radiator with integrated oil cooler. Wheels will be 17x8, 17x9, forged, undecided on make, also paint is up in the air.

Car is being built by Nelson Vels, Billet Works, Santa Clarita, Ca. He has done several V8 conversions in early Z cars and is into doing this car a little differently. Probably 6-8 months from hitting the street. Will also give it a go at open track on the big track at Willow Springs.