HybridZ

V12

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

In maine we have a weekly publication called Uncle Henrys. It is basically a free classifieds where everybody lists stuff they want to sell. I bought my car...engine...etc through this. I just bought a copy and there is a guy parting a 1982 Jag XJS V12 car...what do you think the engine in this car weighs??? What kind of HP and torque? Woudl this be a dumb swap or could it be made to work well?? He is taking offers on the whole car or just parts...what would be a decent offer for the engine if it was assumed a rebuild was in order?

SpencZ

MonsterZ Cont.

Just a not so educated guess, but I'd say everything probably weighs in at about 800lbs, compared to 575lbs for the SBC. Since you are building a custom front end you might be able to do it so this doesn't happen, but your CoG would be way way forwards from the SBC or even the nissan I-6.

As for power, you probably have more potential with the SBC... But there is that exhaust note to consider too...

Drax240z

[This message has been edited by Drax240z (edited April 24, 2000).]

If you want more cylinders, Mopar Performance Parts is now selling the Viper V10 in a crate! 450hp 490 ft-lbs, aluminum block and heads, stianless steel tubular headers, 60 mm throttle bodies,engine wiring harness,air conditioning compressor, clutch and flywheel, power steering pump, 96 amp alternator, serpintine belt. Part # P5007084. The Viper crate installation manual (Part # P5007220) is 64 pages of info with 100 pics. The cost.....it dosen't say redface.gif

[This message has been edited by Mike kZ (edited April 25, 2000).]

Guest Anonymous

I am doing just that. I bought a 1986 XJS V12 and tranny to put into my 77 280Z/Velo Rossa. The engine, with every possible component attached weighs approximately 700 lbs. It is all aluminum engine. Mine will weigh somewhat less because I am removing all of the emmissions crap, the FI and AC. I going to use four side-draft carbs. This engine in stock form makes 300HP and 318lbs of torque. By the way in the 4200lb XJS, it gets 27 MPG on the Highway. I will be using headers with side pipes which will free approximately 75HP over stock. I will also be using an electric fan which will free up about 25HP, and the removal of the emmission equipment should free up another 25HP. I have been told that the 4 Webers will add HP, we will see. I am hoping for 400HP. Not bad. This from a high revving, incredibly smoth OHC engine.

The engine is actually shorter than the I6 from Datsun, and a little wider than the Chevy V8. I am matching this up to the Jaguar IRS I purchased several months ago. I am looking at either the XJS front suspension or a Mustang II. Both of which would give me Power Steering and more space.

Jeff

Guest Anonymous

The V-12 will be an exotic/esoteric engine in the Z's engine bay. But remember, there are reasons that JTR (JAGs That Run) and John's Cars started making V-8 swaps for the Jags in the first place: price, reliability, parts availability (OEM and aftermarket), power, weight, etc. If you're looking to build something unique, then go for it. But if you've got a need for speed, then a mild big block Chevy or even a well-built SBC will leave you behind when you push the loud pedal. Just depends on what you want!

Guest Anonymous

I have owned a 94 Corvette Convertible, Loved it. Drove a 93 XJS Convertible, loved it more. The problem with the V12's were worked out with the introduction of the H.E. V12 in 85. This was a Fuel Injected 5.3L with an 11.5:1 Compression Ratio. There is no comparison between the V12 OHC and a SBC OHV. I am not bashing V8's I originally was going to put a Mopar Big Block in my VR, but I wanted something that felt and looked more like the Ferrari. Hence the V12 with Carbs. As far as being dusted by V8 Z-Car, we will see. :wink: Keep in mind how much lighter the Z is in the VR form.

Jeff

• 1 month later...

wow a v12, sounds interesting, but also like

a lot of trouble. jaguar parts are expensive

for that same money you could get a brand new

zz4 or that viper v10 without the dramatics

of haaving a european v12 that is also old

at the same time. an sbc is awesome in a 240

ask all the bmws and lexuses that get real good stares at my taillights when they try to do something.

but if you can work that swap out more power to you, but remember the costs and end product when you consider, man go with the

viper block, guarenteed you are knockin that

tired v12 off the turf with taht money maker.

good luck either way.

Guest Anonymous

Spence,

I just picked up the latest issue of "Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords".

There was an add in there from one of the speed shops that had the V10 Ford crate engine. For the life of me I can't find the add.

That Viper engine really sounds like a cool deal though....

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Since I've been going psycho about weight lately the thought of putting an engine as large as either a V10 or V12 seems just plain stupid. The amount of HP and Torque that can be found in a small V8 makes looking into more cylinders (not necessarily bigger displacement) is foolish. I have even been thinking that a V8 isn't necessary when a V6 like John Scott's can put out serious HP and even more weight is saved. Just think...an 1800lb Z car with a 425hp engine will have a better p/w ratio than a 3200lb car with a 750hp engine....WOW!!! That would be one hell of a fast ride and the inertia required to start up a 1800lb car would be waaaaay less than the inertia required to start up a 3200lb car. Just something to think about smile.gif

SpencZ

Spence, you make an excellent point and why I have become an advocate of smaller discplacement turbo/supercharged engines. Everyone knows that cubic inch is everything, but....is it? Sometimes we get caught up in the "size" of the engine and forget that size indicates cylinder volume and you make power by first having the capability of efficiently filling that volume to the max. That is where the forced induction has the advantage.

For those unaware, a turbo or s-charged engine at 14psi doubles the volume of the intake charge. In other words, a 3.8L turbo at 14psi boost can ingest a volume equivalent to a 462ci engine. When I get mine better tuned, I will be running at least 21psi boost which will have my engine ingesting the equivalent of a 577ci engine. Sounds nuts, but that is why I expect close to 400hp AT THE WHEELS and torque beyond that of a hot SBC. The beauty of this all is that with no boost, it is a low-compression, fuel-efficient 231ci engine.

Bigger, more efficient turbos make that even more unbelievable. The trick is having the fuel system match the demand and doing everything to eliminate detonation.

Scottie

I believe that you're forgetting that those V8s can also be boosted. Just last night I was talking to a friend of mine who's workingon a stroked 302 Ford - 347 cubes. The DFI still isn't dialed in yet but it's already seen over 500HP to the rear wheels. This is a beefed Motorsport block and a HUGE ProCharger. Can you say 20lbs of boost? Oh yeah - and a skosh of race gas :-) Needless to say we've got no idea what it'll run when dialed in and he's yet to matt the throttle on the road.

Another friend of mine runs a shop devoted almost exclusively to Mustang work. Mod motored 200 some odd V8 Fords are putting out nearly 500hp pretty easily these days - crap pistons and all.

Huge cubes tend to rule because they're easier but you can squeeze more HP from them with forced induction. I'll never forget the first story I read about a turbo 350 SBC. At 3grand on it's first pull it self destructed at about 3grand. It made so much power the cranks simply snapped. I don't recall the number but it was up there - it was in a book I've got about turbo charging.

Personally I'm going with a SBC for simplicity. Other motors are pretty neat but I want to drive this thing and enjoy it. If it gets to feeling slow I'll slap a used Vortech on it or get a ProCharger through my friend (he's a dealer). Small motors with forced induction are cool but bigger ones with the same sort of induction are flat out scary. The 351W in my Mustang with a ProCharger is supposed to make nearly 600+hp. This number is froma guy who's built my combo a few times and dynoed them. That's almost too much power and I'm honestly hoping it doesn't run that well or I'll kill myself. But it's a good example of what can be done with a mild blown big(ish) inch motor. I really need to finish that project :-)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Anybody intrested in a 600hp american v12. wieghs in at 500lbs and is only 8.8 inches longer than the sbc. It uses the same chevy bell housing and forward mounts. By the way the 600hp is for the street version they do make a high po version check out falconerengines.com. Wild as hell.

[This message has been edited by gatorslair (edited July 16, 2000).]

• 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

Just so you guys know, I called my local

mopar dealer. The price I was qouted on that

crate viper engine is $16,000. So unless

you are a freaking Millionaire, forget about it.

------------------

It will never be fast enough.