HybridZ

FORD NINE INCH T0 3.90

Guest Anonymous

i think it would be better launches, lesser handling. unless you get an irs built around the ford diff, giving you great handling and any damn gear ratio you could possibly want smile.gif

Actually, if you've got deep pockets the 'Vette suspension is the way to go! smile.gif Best of both worlds I'd think. If you're not into handling the live axle is fine but if you DO care about handling the IRS is noticeably better. I've driven both hard and it's more unnerving when the rear starts stepping out on a live axle (shiver). My .02

• 5 weeks later...

Many examples of live axle cars with excellent smooth surface handling are everywhere. Where the IRS advantage comes in is the unsprung weight at the wheels, which aids traction in bumpy or less than ideal road surfaces. The camber adjustment is also very important, but as said earlier, a correctly setup live axle suspension can be hard to beat.

Terry

Great to read your various posts here Terry:-)

I also wanted to point out it seems that simply 'bumpy' is mentioned as a detrimental road surface for a live/solid axle. Most may associate this with backroads. I've yet to drive or see a roadcourse where I wouldn't be using those FIA curbs to maximize my times by turn radius etc or come across bumps on the actual roadcourse/even with new pavement.

I just didn't want newbies to lapping days/motorsports etc thinking they wouldn't encounter bumps/curbs that they'd be driving thru. I run with a few 4th gen camaro's and even the one that spent a lot of $$$$$ can't take a curb/bumpy twist like I can, he's always kicked out at that piont and has to work that into his approacch line/corner exit. I can't quantify the overall time difference it would be as it may be rather minimal but I know my preference for my non-monster drag use is IRS. I think Pauli summed it up with a lot less babble than I smile.gif

Guest Anonymous

Mike KZ,

Thats a good looking IRS unit. Fairly well priced as far as IRS's go.

Lone

PS: Don't you hate it when you have to edit a message this short because of fat fingering something. Grrr.. smile.gif

[This message has been edited by lonehdrider (edited January 03, 2001).]

Not near the car, but that IRS from Ryane is available from 56" hub to hub. What's the Z? I'd think the 8.8" Ford diff should be plenty for everybody but RON JONES wink.gif. That's a pretty decent price!

[scotty - I stole the "bolded" URL idea from ya. I think it looks good. Sets a nice "standard" for signature here.]

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project

pparaska@home.com

Pete's V8 Datsun 240Z Pages

[This message has been edited by pparaska (edited January 04, 2001).]