HybridZ

Turbo Selection

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I am in the closing stages of building a Nissan 280 z turbo motor for my 72z. Does anyone out there have specific experience with T3/T4 turbo spec selection?

I'm thinking of going with the T3/T4E Super H, Stage V, Ceramic ball bearing,.67 or .82 A/R, wet center section. Does anyone have an opinion on this choice considering I'm using an Electromotive TEC II, JE pistons, prepped crank and rods, ported P90 head with 2 mm oversized exhaust valves, Turbo cam, TWM tripple mikuni style throttle body injection, 3 inch exhaust, Spearco 1080 cfm intercooler, 3 inch exhaust, R200 3.54 Gleason Torsen, 83 non turbo 5-speed. I expect to run 16-17psi and hopefully make 400+? hp. I will be using the car primarily as a daily driver with some autocross and drag racing time.

A few more questions-

Is the ceramic ball bearing worth the expense in terms of quicker spool up and will it make a noticable difference on the street? Will the ceramic ball bearing allow me to use a compressor wheel that flows more volume or a larger a/r without suffering additional lag? Should I go with a T03/T04B (rather than and E)?

I appreciate any help out there.

quote:

Originally posted by Morgan:

Throttle body injection on the TWM throttles from a tec 2? What? That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Ummm, the only thing that didn't make sense to me was this response... what's wrong with that setup?

As for the original post, it looks like you've spared no expense on the rest of the hardware - you might consider going with a full T4, instead of a hybrid. They don't lag that badly, and unless you are also going with 315 section width rears, a bit of lag might be your friend.

The ceramic center section won't make that much difference in the RPM that you start making boost. That's more a function of your turbine housing and compressor maps.

Where it does make a difference is in throttle transients where you are already in the boost making RPM range. In other words, if you were cruising at part throttle at, say 3500 rpm, and suddenly crack the throttle open. In this case, it does make a noticeable difference in how quickly the boost comes on. Usually people's eyes get real big when I do this... eek.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Morgan:

The TWM throttles are individual throttles - so there is no central throttle body for TBI. I don't think a tec2 will run TBI anyhow, but I could be wrong on that.

First off, the TEC will do TBI with no problem. That's not what he was talking about, though.

TWM refers to the Mikuni replacement throttles as 'throttle bodies'. This does not not mean that they are the same as TBI. The injectors do mount directly to the TWM units, though, so that might have something to do with the nomenclature. Actually, I think that it's just a generic term for a housing with a throttle in it.

morgan-this set up looks like webers with injectors in the throttle units.you just put the tps on the end throttle body.then you have throttles like a bmw m3 engine.this gets rid of #1 cyl lean .this man has some deep pockits.ivan stewerts toyota tundra baja truck uses twm throttle body units.this set up use a weber style intake manifold.with proper dyno work this engine should make at least 400 hp by 7000 rpm.

Hey Tim,

I see you still can't decide which way to go with your turbo. Will you hurry up and get that BAD BOY done smile.gif Hehe, like I should talk :P I can't wait to play on the back roads in the hills. You guys should see his set-up "SWEET". Hey Sean and Randy you want to meet up sometime?

Donna