HybridZ

Should water drain under the door?

I'm trying to eliminate the seemingly never ending leaks that I have in my car. I've found 3 of them but it's still getting damp from somewhere. I've noticed that the area under my door holds water when I open it. And water is getting under the rubber door seal. I can't imagine that this is how it's supposed to drain? Thanks in advance for any suggestions. 

Stephen

Water can get inside the door if the window seals are bad, run over to the door panel and leak out on the inside.  It can also run down the front pillar and end up inside the seal.  The rubber shark fin on the top of the door front edge needs to be intact to divert the water outward.  It makes a difference and they're usually cracked and crumbling.

Thanks Zed, it seems to be coming in at the pillar I'm guessing. I don't see water on the door panel, it just seems to be on the floor. It appears to come between the fender and the door. It might be designed that way? To run between the seal and drain out from under the door?

The windshield seals can leak also.  Water gets in to the channel under the seal from anywhere on the outside glass, collects in the bottom, and runs to either corner and back out to the inside.  If you have that problem you'll actually see a bead of water grow and drop when you take a corner after the car has sat in the rain.  You might also see a trail where the water has been.

The shark fin's purpose seems to be to divert the water to the outside so it doesn't run between the fender and the door.  Look at it and you'll see that it's just a factory fix for a basic design weakness.

I did have a window seal leak and I was able to fix it. I looked at the shark fin and it's in good shape, I see what mean about the design. Now that I'm understanding how it works, Im going to get some buckets and the hose and see if I can figure out exactly where it's going. 

Another crazy leak I've seen is from a missing 8mm upper fender tab bolt. The one you see when you open the door and look at where the fender meets the unibody, above the top hinge. It's a way to totally flood the floor if its missing.