HybridZ

Sway bars: what is everyone running?

DavyZ

Guest needwaymorespeed

Has anyone reinforced the front sway bar mountlocation point on the frame? my idea was to put some 1/8 inch metal plates the width of the rame and about 6 inches long between the mount and the frame to help distribute the load,I was just foing to sandwich them in,do you think they need to be welded? interested in youre fixes

thanks

Curtis

Curtis, I did one better. Since my frame rails were swiss cheese due to rust, I replaced them with some I made out of 2.5"x2.5" tubing.

Before that, I took a piece of 14 gage steel and bent it into a U that fit over the portion of the rail just forward of the crossmember, all the way to the rad support. The bottom of the "U" was on the inboard side of the rail, and the sides of the "U" were on the top and bottom surface. I welded the periphery of the part, and had a number of holes in it to plug weld to. Not much to weld to in my case, in several places.

This also allowed me to redo the anit-sway bar mounts with big welded in nuts.

Guest needwaymorespeed

Thanks pete,that sounds better than just a plate more area for the force to be distributed on.

Pete youre posts always amaze me I can hardly believe everything youve done to youre car,yah 10 years but the thing isnt only restored its RE ENGINEERED!

Thanks Curtis

Yeah, the channel carries the load better than just a plate - it's taller and doesn't depend on the probably rusty "side" of the stock rail.

Being an engineer, I'll take that comment about "re-engineered" as a compliment icon_wink.gif. My car is really more of a hobby than a car. It's provided many years of tinkering enjoyment icon_biggrin.gif. I can't wait to drive it though! Should be painted in a few weeks.

Cheers,

davy, i really cant wait until you get to that swap!!! i run a 280zx sway bar in the front and a 7/8 aftermarket on the rear, and i have never driven a z without both, exiting turns the only trouble i really have is that dang inside wheel slowing me down in the rights!!! do it right davy with the sway bars and the POSI!