HybridZ

73' 240Z Wiring Harness Butchered

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

today i took apart my wiring harness for my 73' 240 man was it butchered. I am surprised it didnt short or burn anything, wires were cut and attatched all over the place, i salvaged the last piece of the 4 harnesses. But i was curious if it is still possible to get a new harness, and or AM. Something. I dont wanna rip apart another 73' to find another thrashed wiring harness, anyone had this problem before? Pete? Im stuck..

Guest Anonymous

A few of the members have put in the Painless 12 circuit complete harness. Its not cheap, but it is well marked and has circuits for nearly everything. If you need more they make a 18 circuit version. Not sure original harnesses are available or not, but if I were going through the trouble to put in the harness, it wouldn't be the stock one, its poorly designed and basically a overload or short waiting to happen. I plan on doing the painless in the future I just hope mine does'nt burn up or anything weird till then. icon_smile.gif

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

hrm....interesting, well do you have anymore info? website? should i do a search on the archieves? i wouldnt know exactly how to do this, so i would need some guidelines or something to go by.

Someone I talked to...probably Len or someone else crazy like that icon_smile.gif used a Honda CRX harness--no kidding. Better & newer, with about the right amount of wires for a swap. Personally, I think a Painful, er, Painless set up is a good bet--no more expensive (probably less) than OEM and built to suit.

David

Guest Anonymous

For the harness try www.painlesswiring.com , also do a search on 'painless' in the search function of Hybridz's forum's you'll find some discussion about the harness. It is a bit tricky in some spots from what I understand (I would think the ignition switch area to name but one would require a bit of splicing old Datsun switch to Painless's harness). But the additional circuits will improve things considerably. FWIW.

Regards,

Lone

[ June 25, 2001: Message edited by: lonehdrider ]

After the pain of installing gauges and everything else in my dash another wiring harness is certainly something I'm contemplating. I've considered simply swapping out my fusebox and rewiring the whole car. For now I'm going to let it eat and see if it has roblems, if it does I'll remedy whatever way seems best but since I've been thinking about it...

Some areas of "concern":

Ignition switch. GM column or "not GM" seem to be the options. Yuck!

Wiper stalk. That sucker ought to be "fun" figuring out!

Heaterblower. I think Vintage Air looks much better :-)

Bulb sockets. Not sure what is an upgrade for this but soldering on the old sockets seems silly. I think at least one of us has upgraded their sockets and bulbs.

Dome lights? Might not be too bad.

Overall I think it would be work but doable. Painless does indeed print the NAME of the circuit on their wire - how nice! But you pay through the nose for that too. I think in the future I'll do it but not just yet. I too am finding some pretty scary splicing in my harness - and doing a little bit myself too icon_rolleyes.gif

I went with the Painless 18-circuit in my '73 240Z. Yeah it was expensive BUT

-I didn't want to go hunting around other cars and then struggle to remove the harness.

-I didn't want to then figure out what wire was what and what kinda loads they could handle

So I bought it icon_smile.gif It's all labeled and color coded, the rear of my dash still looks like a mess, but that's because things were done a little at a time.

I also changed my bulbs to the 3157 "wedge" type. Dey works!

Owen

I put a painless harness in my Chevelle and plan to do the same in my Z. After a little [planning it was pretty much painless). I solved several electric problems with that 1 modification (& had some piece of mind too) Total cost including misc. connectors around $300.00........not having to screw with the electrical system again PRICELESS.

Larry (aka Peternell)