HybridZ

New fandangled high tech stuff!

Drax240z

Heh, while we're on a roll here, I thought I'd mention something I read a while back about SAAB. Seems that they are prototyping a variable compression ratio supercharged engine. The head is basically on a pivot, allowing the combustion chamber to be resized while the engine is running. They say anywhere from 8.0:1 to 14:1 compression is possible, now with the boost possibility that does have some serious potential I think!!

Check out this link:

http://www.edmunds.com/news/innovations/articles/43027/article.html

Cool stuff, I thought I'd pass it along.

That's pretty cool, I remember Design News or something having that showcased a year ago or so.

I "came up with" the solenoid driven valve idea about 20 years ago. Looked around and found out it was "too hard". Looks like after 20 years someone has figured out a way to do it. Can you imagine having a valve train that could have step-function type valve events, at what ever lift was needed, and at whatever degree, changing as a quick function of time? You could have a super-flat torque curve, optimal BSFC, etc. ALL THE TIME.

Guest Anonymous

That sounds cool, but you gotta remember something...The more features it has the more there is to go wrong icon_smile.gif (Just look at the fuel injection on my '75 280Z icon_razz.gif )

Guest Anonymous

I agree Pete, and we may be seeing the most probable future of the internal combustion engine. Complete computer control over all possible engine functions. Cam, Fuel, Ignition, cooling and now apparently compression ratio. Yep, it'd make a nifty turbo/supercharged/NA motor in my estimation. Strong powerband with no valleys or gaps from the cellar all the way to top revs. The future is gonna be icon_cool.gif .

Regards,

Lone

It's not just the motor either. Look for transmissions to gain gears (5speed auto anyone?) and to eventually become a continously changing ratio with no discernable gears. That's been a dreamgoal and I've heard of some attempts coming close but nothing recently.

BTW - the computer controlled valvtrain stuff has been aorund for a little while at least. I seem to recall that Electromotive might have done some work on that and recall seeing a test engine documented years ago. I also recall a blurb somewhere stating that it wouldn't be practical until the new 42volt (?) standard for auto electrical systems is in production. The variable compression engine, if memory serves, doesn't require quite so much energy and I could swear I'd heard it would first be used on a diesel - no?

It's exciting to finally see some of the really neat stuff that was thought of so long ago starting to approach reality. I think the ability to modify the cam ratio via computer, compression ratio, and maybe the trans is going to make for some truly fast energy effecient cars.

P.S. Yes, the speeling part of my brain is napping still. icon_rolleyes.gif

Guest Anonymous

Uh, yeah I could live comfortably with an engine like that:

tengine.jpg

under the hood of a Z. Very cool. Didn't spend alot of time trying to figure how it works out, is it just a sphere with a hole in it that turns to let flow in and out?

Regards,

Lone

a bolt on 4 valve head for l28 with electronicly actuated valves?no need for pesky timing chain.spark plug in middle of dome-hemi head.as soon as some company works out a valve actuator it will happen.more cars will have engines that rev like honda s2000 sports car.tuning will be easy-just reprogram it.

Lone, I agree that would look good under the hood of your car (or mine for goodness sake), but just wait until you tweak it a little more with one or two turbos, heh heh.

I think the rotary valves are exactly that: open or shut really--that's the beauty of it--all fuel & air, or none at all. No friction either, and a much higher potential rpm. I wonder if it sounds like an F1 car at 10,000 rpm???

Davy

Guest Anonymous

Following on the idea of solenoid valves: I've been told that current Formula 1 engines have air-operated valves (i.e. no cam, and potentially "computer"-controlled). Can anyone confirm/deny that?

From what I know (or think I do) on F1 cars the valve is still opened by a cam but closed by N2. It does seem that cams are a bit of old tech but I don;t think that they can control the valve opening well enough at 19,000 RPM to do away with cams yet. I do know someone who would have a better idea of this than I do and I will ask him to see if he knows.

The F1 teams don't call me and tell me what they are doing, yet, or more likly never will. bummer icon_sad.gif