HybridZ

Cam selection, High Compression article by David Vizard

pparaska

I know Kevin will love this, and I bet a bunch of others will enjoy it too. It's long, and if you click on a figure in the article, a new window with all the figures and captions shows up.

http://www.motortecmag.com/archives/2001/jun/JUN01-01/JUN010101.html

Kevin, he's talking about the slider-crank thing, but only touches on the details.

BTW, I found this by doing a google search on "camshaft selection" (I know, I take FOREVER to make decisions icon_wink.gif ). Here's the link to what it brought up on Vizard's site:

http://www.davidvizard.com/camshaft.html

Vizard offers a service for selecting the optimum cam for your use. Interesting that he mentions the same shop in Tucson AZ that Thurem noted in a post yesterday. I wonder if they still will run your numbers if you call, as Vizard charges $35US to select your cam with the software he wrote and they beta tested.

BTW, he notes that the cam companies will tell you different things every time you call. I had just that experience lately.

Anyway, the High Compression article is very interesting and has a bunch of good info on Intake valve closing and compression ratio, like Kevin has shown us many times.

Both those links were interesting; BTW-Vizard was charging $50 to pick a turbo cam for you & to also tell you what the backpressure on the exhaust is as a result prior per choice of cam offered.

I agree Pete-he was illuding to the Slider Crank Mechanism procedure for choosing a camshaft.

$35 & $50 simply for consulting in picking out a cam(?) & we do it for free on this site...we are in the wrong business. I'll concede that Vizard surely offers quite a bit more data than we are privy to. Wouldnt it be nice to hear his thoughts & know what he's thinking-if only for a day.

Hey, I've got the Slider Crank Mech process, Cyl.Head math, Camshaft Math....and now most of the Turbo Math on Excel; maybe I can charge $35 as a consultant. I only have one problem-what do I have to do to get a reputation equal to his....eh, not enough time in my life. Vizard has definately paid his dues & put in his time in the R&D field of auto performance.

Thanks Pete for the site-it was most interesting & nice to see confirmation of the process on the Slider Crank Mechanism being advertised...even if it was an illusive advertisement-we know what he was talking about even if he never actually came out & called it by name!

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

Pete

Well my friend recommended me the motor machine and supply shop, and they recommended me Vizards book when I went there and checked them out. What goes around comes around, right?

Anyways, I'm sure M,M&S won't charge you to run your specs, if you buy the cam from them. Otherwise 35 to 50 bucks ain't much considering the benefits this process will yield (yes, I am a believer).

Thure

Thure, I think that I actually paid that shop and David - they seem to be handling the workload together. And David's site mentions getting your money back if you buy a cam for over $200. Cam, Lifters, and springs will be over that, so I should be getting it back.

[ September 04, 2001: Message edited by: pparaska ]