HybridZ

Hey Sopadope

Owen

I bet they're gonna use a jointed steering shaft like someone here did. Notice that it's an American Z? And notice those two tubes where the battery would be and under the MCs?

The car has a bolt-in rollcage, who knows why...

Are those the 280ZXT companion flanges in the underneath shot?

Owen

Are they planning a "Steer by wire" system? That motor has some kind of bulky thing - a bulge in the lower part of the block, directly over the rack input shaft. The shaft would have to go directly back, then up, then over. Yikes. Woulda been alot easier in a RHD car. They've definately worked over those framer rails.

Didja see in that bottom pic where there's a turbo on the driver's side? I guess the frame rails were cut up to make room for turbo plumbing?

Twin turbo 32 valve V8 Z car. Madness I tells ya.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks Owen. I really appreciate you taking the time to scan those pictures and posting them. However, I've already eliminated the Q motor because I was anticipating the whole steering rod dilemma. The whole swap became almost impossible (for my resources) after I I removed the the A/C compressor to take a look at the motor mounts. In the Q the engine is secured via motor mounts attached to a crossbeam. The guy who's doing this install obviously put a lot of effort into crafting those funky motor mounts and modifying those frame rails. My Maxima motor swap is looking better and better everyday. I found out that if it is mounted longitudinally, there's plenty of clearance in the bay. Wish me luck fellas.

Guest Anonymous

DUDE, no way!!!! Is that a T-66??????? Looks almost exactly like a T-66, except it maybe bigger but then again I can't really tell by the view. In any case, that is a HUGE turbo. I'm betting this guy is planning on big super big boost, maybe 20#PSI or more. I'm scratching my head wondering what internal mods he did. An aluminum block + giant turbo don't seem to mix well. icon_wink.gif

Wow - it fits - kind of.

Those sectioned frame rails scare the hell out of me. I hope there's some reinforcement some where I can't see. I'm not sure those tubes I see poking through the firewall are enough.

Pretty Cool swap though!

[ September 17, 2001: Message edited by: pparaska ]

Guest Anonymous

I agree with you Pete. The frame rails in the Z unless WELL gusseted are not up to notching that severely. I'm sure its been reinforced, but making sheetmetal frame rails smaller right where they attache to the car scares the hell out of me too.

I was unable to locate it, but theres a deal the Rod guys use that is basically a series of gears in a billet case to offset the steering LOTS. It has an input shaft, then several idler gears then another shaft out the other end and a offset several inches. I'll keep looking, when I find it I'll post it.

I wonder if the ford DOHC motor would look similar in the frame. icon_smile.gif

Regardz,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

Heh, I don't know how powerful those motors are, but I think it COULD hold up somewhat based upon experience with one of my dads former Chryslers...He had some '84 Chrysler land yaught (sp?), and it was rusted out so badly that the front right shock tower rusted COMPLETLY through and he had a board wedged under the hood to hold the shock and spring down, and the frame was almost completly gone..The only thing holding the front of the car to the rest of it was the top of the firewall...When you took off, the car bent in the middle at the firewall and the wheels scraped. If you took a Dukes of Hazard jump in that thing you would end up with 2 cars icon_razz.gif so if that tells ya anything, I think that car may hold up for a little bit if there isn't any additional frame reinforcement. (Keep in mind I don't really know alot about this kinda stuff, being 15 and all, but it seems to me that it's kinda the same concept...no frame vs. weak frame icon_smile.gif )