HybridZ

AHHHHH POWER DRAINING MY BATT

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

ok here`s the deal if i leave the car over night <1982 280zx 2 seater na> it drains the batt if i un hook the batt it dusent and also if i hook it up the alt duse charge it as fare as i can tell nothing is staying on but it is killing the batt any one have this prob i was told i could un hook the neg and hook a test light from the trmanel to the wire and pull fuses till it go`s out will this work ... going out to buy 2 dollar test light sence they told me my 150 dollar voltage meater wont work and sead sotmhing like it sends feed back through the wires or somthing... n ways if you can help PLEASE DO icon_confused.gif

I'm not good with hieroglyphics (my 12 year old daughter is though) but here goes: Your voltmeter (or VOM) would probably work fine, but you need it on the "dc amp" setting (if you have this), and not voltage. Start with the highest amp setting first, then work down to a useable range, as this will help prevent you from burning out the meter. With all your fuses in, you should read no amperage (except a very small amount for the electric clock and or to keep the radio tuner/clock set if you have an aftermarket radio). If you are reading a substantial current (my guess is anything over a couple of amps) then it looks like a ground is present on one of the circuits. With all the fuses out, there should be no current flowing. Look for changes with each fuse pulled. A big drop in current when a fuse is pulled indicates that circuit had a load on the battery, and should be investigated. With all fuses pulled, you should not have any current flowing at all (or the test light goes out). IF you have a bad cell in the battery, this may cause the battery to go bad regardless of the load. I would also suggest that both + and - wires be removed from the battery (making sure it has a good charge when you do this), leave it over night in the car, and the next day check to see if it is drained again. This will tell you the battery itself is bad. If the battery is still good, you've got some work ahead in finding the ground. Good luck

Terry

Guest Anonymous

tryed the amp gage it just go`s hay wire when i do mess with the fuses and even with nothing hooked up on it but the motor its still shows power when i know there is nun i think im guna try the light icon_confused.gif