HybridZ

SDS heads up

BLKMGK

I've started a thread on the SDS in a V8 to try and get some feedback from folks using it. At least one guy is using it on a Kenne Bell blown Ford 460 icon_smile.gif

I also found this interesting link on the Holley stuff. Some of it I knew (Cutler) but I found the rest interesting to learn -> http://www.fuelinjection.com/holley.html

I've spent about 12hours hunting around for good info on the EFI systems out there so far. Wish I could find a price list for Motec - you should see their features list icon_eek.gif

Anyway, don't mean to split this thread but I'm really working hard to figure out what's the smartest move for me here.

Update: Hrm, did some back of the napkin figuring on what an SDS system would cost with all of the options I might want. About $1400 icon_eek.gif Add maybe a grand for an intakeTB setup and we've hit the Holley price mark. icon_sad.gif I'm not seeing where the SDS has the ability to control an idle meter either which is odd. Anyone using one know if it can? Simple switches I see for high idle etc. but no stepper type motor for idle...

[ October 27, 2001: Message edited by: BLKMGK ]

Jim, what's interesting is that FI is impressed with the OLD 4Di system that they are referencing there. I wonder how they feel about the Commander 950 series of MPFI?

I agree about piecemeal costs to put a V8 system together (unless you can find some HUGE bargains used). I started pricing different parts from Accel, Holley, etc. and the total system price was considerably more than the system price from either company.

Guest Anonymous

Umm... What exactly do you need an high idle for anyways/???

Maybe I can help with what you need i did my sds install by myself and im just a 19 year old. iw as 18 when i did it

Guest Anonymous

Probably right Pete, the A/C definitely puts a load on the engine even with the Sanden unit which doesn't draw much, most FI cars do correct idle for A/C engagement.

I'm split on the whole FI topic really, its obvious that unless you want to convert using a stock computer using JY parts to piece it together, its gets pretty expensive fast for the aftermarket stuff if you piece it out.

I'll probably have to go the stock route and kludge it together to even hope of doing it, but if 2g lands in my lap (it could happen I suppose.. icon_rolleyes.gif ) I'd be all over the Accel Pro-ram I think. (about 1800.00 entry price YPMV depending on options..). The Gen 7 software looks pretty good. And theres alot of successful blower applications that have been used with it.

I donno, there are several good choices, just with different features, probably can't end up worse than a carb no matter what you choose.

Regards,

Lone

Sorry guys, hadn't seen the responses in this thread till now...

Yes, things like electrical load an A/C compressor turning on WILL drag the idle down. If you start at 900RPM and lose 150 or 200RPM the motor could stall or run rough. ALL modern OEM EFI systems have a way of bumping idle when A/C is turned on and many carb systems did too. My RX7 even bumps idle when a heavy load is placed on the ALTERNATOR icon_eek.gif

The SDS has a solenoid that will let in extra air for the A/C but it cannot run the stepper motor type idle motor that most modern EFI systems have. A Commander ECU, sans harness I think and sensors I'm sure, is $900. Compare that to the SDS!

Intake a problem right? My Victor is being shipped to a local guy for conversion - $175-$200. Injectors will run me $210 new (30lb Ford) and less if I buy used. For a throttle body I'm having a 90degree elbow made of sheet metal for $100 and running a Ford TB. A 70mm TB is less than $200 if memory serves - and that's new. I should be able to use my existing distributor and you might too. Fuel system sensors, maybe some wiring need to be added but you get the idea. Full control of the spark and fuel with better mileage on top of it.

Stay away from the TPI systems BTW unless it's a VERY tame moter - trust me. Add all that up for a budget system guys. Holley sells power packs with injectors, manifold, and TB if you want to take a shortcut. You provide the ECU (shrug). No idea on price yet but they're really helping folks out with that IMO.

Now, in MY case I desire a few added options. Bank fire instead of batch for one. But my primary desire is wideband O2. Why? Because I want to be able to set the A/F ratio all over the load curve. Leaner for MPG, richer for power. Under boost or NOS it'll adjust for me and even run the NOS stages for you if you want. Holley might get this ability but it's not yet a sure thing. An ECU to do this from FAST is about $1900 - harness, sensors, and ECU.

For about $400 more I can buy the DFI GEN7 (I think, it may need some other options to be comparable too - hard to tell icon_rolleyes.gif ). Why would I consider that? Ability to interface with multiple ignition systems out of the box with no hardware mods and sequential injector firing if I provide it a cam sensor signal. Grassroots support for the DFI is lower though - as in I can find no one with experience with their system online posting about it.

Anyway, I'm still researching all this and am not yet done with my research. I'm trying to find demo copies of the various software to check it all out...

Calmap-start-page.jpg

An interesting site to check out too -> http://www.rancefi.com/