HybridZ

Drag strip blues/Carb Question

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey everyone.

Well got the car to the strip and boy what a let down. My best pass was only a 15.722 so something is drastically wrong. I didn't get very good take off's so I"m gonna look at trying to get some slicks. But it feels like I have no power. I'm thinking i'm starving my engine of fuel. Here is my engine combo:

Edelbrock 600 cfm carb

Victor jr intake

Holley system max heads

......Intake - 2.02" dia.,4.92" length, 11/32" stem dia. 66 cc combutstion chamber

......Exhaust - 1.60" dia., 4.94" length, 11/32" stem dia.

Comp. Magnum 270 Cam. 224 dur int 224 dur exh lift 470 int 470 exh

Stock HEI Distributer

Anyway what I"m saying I guess is 1)am I starving the engine?

2)if yes what size carb should I get 750?

3)any pointers on tuning it or just go to a shop.

Thanks for all the info. The track is open next week too since we are haveing such nice weather so I wanna take it there again so that way I don't have such a bad thought On it over the whole winter.

Sean

quote:

Originally posted by ellobo97:

Hey everyone.

Well got the car to the strip and boy what a let down. My best pass was only a 15.722 so something is drastically wrong. I didn't get very good take off's so I"m gonna look at trying to get some slicks. But it feels like I have no power. I'm thinking i'm starving my engine of fuel. Here is my engine combo:

Edelbrock 600 cfm carb

Victor jr intake

Holley system max heads

......Intake - 2.02" dia.,4.92" length, 11/32" stem dia. 66 cc combutstion chamber

......Exhaust - 1.60" dia., 4.94" length, 11/32" stem dia.

Comp. Magnum 270 Cam. 224 dur int 224 dur exh lift 470 int 470 exh

Stock HEI Distributer

Anyway what I"m saying I guess is 1)am I starving the engine?

2)if yes what size carb should I get 750?

3)any pointers on tuning it or just go to a shop.

Thanks for all the info. The track is open next week too since we are haveing such nice weather so I wanna take it there again so that way I don't have such a bad thought On it over the whole winter.

Sean

Hey Sean,

what do your plugs look like?

sounds like a 600 should feed your combo . What timing are you running? Do you get wheel spin in first and second gear? What trans and diff are you using? Were your times consistant ?

Dennis

Guest Anonymous

exactly...look at the time slips for 0-60 foot times are they consistant or differ greatly...and at what trap speed did you hit the finish line at?....the more info we have the more everyone can help you narrow down the possible problems...well let us know

the carb size is not your problem!! from the limited info you gave I can tell you you have other problems than the carb size (valve adjustments? ignition timeing? very low fuel pressure feeding the carb? traction? transmission sliping? extremely restrictive exhaust system? not enough ignition spark/missing? vacuum leak? cam indexed or installed a few degs. off? timeing wrong? carb adjusted WAAAYYY lean or rich? carb secondary venturies not opening?) but not the carb size! a 600cfm carb versus a 750 cfm carb is only going to slow you down maybe 1/3 of a second tops , you can run in the 11s with a 600cfm carb on a 400 sbc (true a 750 will make it easier but the carb size is not a huge drawback!) LOOK ELSEWARE FOR YOUR PROBLEM

Guest Anonymous

Its not the carb size. PERIOD

Check to see it the carb is fully open with the foot flat on the floor. Get some one to floor the pedal and see it the linkage is properly adjusted. MAKE SURE ENGINE IS OFF.

Check the timing. It sounds like it is very low. Set it to between 36 and 38 degrees at full advance.

Check your spark plug wires to make sure they are all connected. Also check each wire with a timing light while engine is running. If the light doesnt flash, that plug is bad.

Give us a MPH at the end of 1/4. That is a better indicator of power.

Don't buy slicks. You don't need them YET. Get the motor right first.

Make sure the air cleaner is fresh and not restricted.

Go get em.