HybridZ

R200 Differential Question: For S2000

hyperion73

Hello Hybridz. I was wondering if you all could help me out. I am not well versed when it comes to Nissan rear ends so I was hoping you guys could help.

Basically I was able to get my hands on a R200 differential, from a N/A non turbo 1990-1996 300ZX. This swap is popular for S2000 owners since our stock diff is weak. I currently have Driveshaft Shop 5.9 axles for the Honda S2000. I would like to preserve these axles and use them on the R200 differential. The Honda S2000 axles have the same bolt pattern as the 6 bolt R230 differential stub shafts (stub axles? Stub CV? Stub flanges?) If that makes sense. However due to clearance issues I must use the R200 diff.

My question to you guys, is what stub flanges can I use that have a 6 bolt axle pattern, and the same spline count for inside the diff? If I'm not mistaken, is there a way to combine the r230 outer flange and r200 inner splines? If you guys could help I would greatly appreciate it. Hopefully that made sense. Thank you!

Edited by hyperion73

The issue gets pulled out and beat up occasionally.  There's a ton out there on how to get newer diffs working in older cars and it always leads to custom CV axles as the simplest path to success.  People have cut and welded four bolt flanges on to 6 bolt stub axles so they could use the later model viscous diff.  You could do the same.  By the time you add up the design time, and pay the shop to do the precision work (proper welding, runout on the flange surface, issues with control arm interference [that 6 bolt flange is big and runs close to the arm on the Z cars], etc.), a custom CV axle looks like a better option.  

Just easier to cut and spline a shaft so that it can use the ends you want.  Find a driveshaft shop that does CV's, give them a length to shoot for, and the two ends and they can probably get it done.

The reason they do all of this is because there are no simple axle swaps to get what you want.  The viscous diffs use a different axle design internally  than the early open and clutch LSD diffs.  No swap and go options.

Besides that, is the weak Honda diff the same width as the R200 you're installing?  If not, the axles you want to use are probably too long.  There are many things to consider and many threads describing how people have missed one or two of them.

Edited by NewZed

If you have short axles because the Honda diff is wider than the R200, you might be able to have an adapter made.  Like the TR6 guys use.

Note that one adapter is thicker than the other.  One of those things you have to pay attention to.

http://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/DiffGoodparts.htm

Edited by NewZed