HybridZ

Shorty Glide with GV OD

Guys I'm struggling to find a decent mounting location. Last night i was under the car brainstorming and decided that the adapter is the best place to tie into the trans for a mount. I literally have to drill and tap a few holes or weld something on it so i can have a mount point. With that said, directly above this location (in the trans tunnel) is some sort of "strap" or reinforced piece of the trans tunnel that is about 2" thick and runs the entire length of the tunnel. Can i tie into this "strap" for a trans mount or is it going to twist and tear? The only other option is to tie into the "frame" rails and build a custom mount that doesn't interfere with the dual exhaust placement. 

I realize i might be the only person running a shorty Glide and GV OD unit on an S30 so im prepared to design a one off mount but any and all ideas for trans mounts (glides particularly) are welcomed. 

post-42763-0-53386100-1432309115_thumb.jpg

First off, that is one bad-ass tranny! Seriously, i cant stop staring at it. But there's no mounting bolt holes?? Between this project and the 2JZ back-half project going on in the member projects forum, we have some really high quality daily reading on this site. I'm gonna change my screen name to "Green with Envy". I think the moderators who started this site were road racers, but we have a serious drag race invasion going on, and it's a high dollar-high class invasion at that! Keep up the high quality work-we may change some attitudes.

Edited by RebekahsZ

Another option would be to take a pair 3" C channel and make a torque tube that attaches the back of the transmission to the front of the differential.  You could build a plate that uses existing bolts on the tranny and then weld or bolt the C channel to that - likewise in the back with the diff. 

Not sure what you're running for a differential but that is the way my T56/R200 is set up.  That eliminates the need for the rear transmission mount.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delayed response I've been super busy with a new born and trying to squeeze in garage time. I ended just building off of the old T56 mount. Thanks for the ideas though and what's up mongoose! I see your getting serious about an LS S30!

I used chopped up pieces of SBC rubber motor mounts at all 4 points of contact. Normally I wouldn't do this but the motor is solid mounted so I'm not to worried about it. Please excuse my bubble gum welds as all I had was 100% argon at home. Also this was mock up and no that bolt with 100 washers is not permanent.

D01578DE-5E26-49A9-8130-98702A784E06_zps

B5FD4C48-DB8F-424E-B0A5-45659CD030C2_zps

FD0A6229-51AB-48E0-811D-B855E1AA6971_zps

143E8D3B-EF2B-4E2B-AE2F-A8750938E57F_zps

Edited by thezguy

Solid mounted motor requires solid mounted transmission.

Mixing solid mounts and rubber mounts invites broken mounts and broken cars.

Maybe in the world of sub 400hp. When you run high torque 1000+ hp motors you need flex or it will twist the chassis like a coke can and crack trans housings. This is common knowledge in big HP drag cars, Do your research.

Edited by thezguy

Looks good man, I'm excited to see the results of this setup. I may be going glide once I go larger turbo, and I will for SURE get a GVOD. (They can hold 1600+hp right?)

Thanks man. The rep told me "1200" When i asked him how he came up with that number or what dictated it he just said its good to about "1200" lol! Now for an additional $375 you can get it to hold 3000whp.. When i asked him what the difference was in the units he said the sump was bigger and they used one different part in the unit.. My guess is the "1200" is probably more like 2000.. I didn't see the need to spend $375 on a sump and one other small internal part. 

• 4 weeks later...