HybridZ

Desktop dyno worth it???

Owen

Guest Tom Scala

I was never a big fan of it. The inputs are too general and it seems to give over estimated HP numbers and lower torque vales than the real world numbers. It is relatively inexpensive though and still fun to play with. I like the Performance Trends Engine Analyzer series of programs. They are more expensive but the inputs are very detailed and output is much more accurate in my experience.

Guest greimann

I like it because you can test different components, especially cams and see what the comparative effect would be. Saves a lot of guess work and perhaps buying the wrong thing.

I think its value lies in that you can put your set-up in there and then compare it to what you can do in the real world. Then you can make changes and see what the computer thinks will happen rather than waste money.

I have a friend who uses it religiously, and his car never came close to what the program said it would, and in the end, I think it all boils down to bench racing.

For me, show me a dyno pull or a time slip if you want to impress me. I don't care what a computer says your car can do, what it does is what I care about.

That is my blunt .02.

I have not used the Performance Trends Engine Analyzer but have heard good things about it; definately a little more expensive.

About DD2000 or Drag2000; they are cheap and I dont look at their outputs as "the Gospel". What I look for are trends. In other words; what are the outputs when I have these compenents as opposed to changing the data by one point/or one unit of data. Such as changing the camshaft's duration by one point at a time & noticing the effects of when/how & where the hp/torque is altered.

Everything you (we rodders) do to modify our car will be based on our experience as we approach our projects. The more experienced you are, the higher level of difficulty our modifications will be also. So everything is relative.

Use it as a learning tool; and when you have surpassed what it has to offer-then purchase the more expensive software.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

Guest greimann

Desktop Dyno is pretty much an automotive program. Its main feature is preselected configurations for a particular engine (Chevy, Ford, Buick, and imports too). You can put in your own parameters for bore, stroke, cylinder head flow and such, but I think it would be a stretch attempting to simulate what you want with a bike motor.