HybridZ

Can you add air conditioning to a 280Z didn't come from the

Guest jwelch

MSA sells a kit as well as Vintage Air. I put the MSA kit in my 260Z that didn't have air originally. The hardest part is pulling the dash out. The MSA kit is around 800.00 (last time I checked) for the R134 version. Good Luck

Regards,

Guest Anonymous

The underhood part is no problem, that can be from whatever provided the condensor fits in front of the radiator. The hard part is putting some other sort of evaporator behind the dash and kludging it together to work. Figure that out and you'll be the man... :D

Regards,

Lone

Originally posted by z_webslinger:

Has anyone rigged up an air conditioning system to fit from another type of vehicle? I'm trying to avoid having to spend 600-1000.

Keep in mind all of our Z's came from the factory WITHOUT A/C. The A/C systems that some cars have were either "Port of Entry" or "Dealer Installed" systems. Most were "ARA" systems. If they could add it to your car; so can you. It is just a matter of locating all those parts.

Go to your nearest Barnes & Nobles or Hastings Book Store & buy this book:

"How to Air Condition Your Car" by Timothy Remus and Jack Chisenhall; published by MBI with a copywrite date 1993.

Good book and also address the issues of converting from R-12 to the new (yuk) stuff, R-134A.

And yes, many people, more resourseful than I have swapped A/C systems from one car into another car. As Lone said, the engine components are a breeze; its the under dash stuff that tends to be clear as mud and twice as confusing at times. However, it is not impossible if you know what to look for and where to get your parts.

If I were you I would, not only buy the book, but look for a parts Z that has the A/C hardware. Obtain that hardware and you are half way there. Also obtain a Factory Z Service Manual. Most Nissan Dealers will have your Manual on CD.

The hardest part is "Just Doing It". Good luck, sounds like an adventure.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

Guest Anonymous

i have of my ac stuff out it worked when i took it out a year ago i had to cut one line but i think everything else was good. make an offer for the stuff the wife is starting to get ansy about all the extra stuff laying around.

thanks

dave

There is an evaporator with expansion valve and evaporator housing on EBAY right now and cheap. This is the original add on setup that would have been added at the dealer. It is installed on the inlet to the heater fan. I understand this can be tricky to seal and that a pusher fan may be needed ti help airflow, but I think this would be the easiest way to add air to an existing Z. I am considering a similiar setup for my LT1 conversion. I already have a factory evaporater and housing and plan on using a condensor and other parts including maybe the evaporator from a junkyard car. I already have a R134 compressor on the LT1.

Guest Tim78zt

I installed the "factory" air in my 78 and really pulling the dash isn't even that hard!! I would replace the heater core while you can get at it easily and have the heater core checked for leaks too. Oh yeah, and have new hoses fabbed (don't ask!!!). I changed the refrigerant to Auotfrost. It has a lower content of R134a and claims to have more efficient oil circulation properties (good for longer compressor life). The A/C is ice-cold, good as new now. I would like to still upgrade the blower motor to the 240sx model though.

Just go to your local used Z parts guy or call mine (All Z Car in Ft Worth 817-483-0383) and he'll ship what you need if he still has it. One last thing...remember to get the A/C relay if you get a used system off of a Z.

Tim78zt

• 7 years later...

Relevant topic and this thread was the best on the subject I could find:

Has anyone dared to dream of using the MSgpio http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/ (that is already using a MS) to run A/C? Seems like a great way to help with the needed increase in idle for compressor kickon. I've got this crazy idea that with some serious part modification in the dash one could get a lot more out of the A/C system and remove the vacuum hell in the engine compartment...

Or am I delusional?