HybridZ

RB20DET vs. SR20DET....

Sparky

Guest Anonymous

i wouldnt put the sr20 past 400hp, and im pretty sure that 450 is the limit with the stock crank. JUN's complete stroker kit (2.2L) is like $6-7000 for rods, pistons and a new crank. go to http://www.okinawaimportmotorsports.com/2002/parts/engine/main.htm for engine prices, but im not sure how their engine quality is. also, the sr20vet is a awd/fwd engine so it is also e/w mounted in the engine bay

Guest Anonymous

The stock crank has seen in excess of 510WHP, which is real close to over 600 flywheel HP! My personal SR20 built shortblock for my SE-R still uses the factory crankshaft. It's all a matter of preparation.

I was at Great Lakes Dragaway yesterday and a guy I know who has a DET in a '97 240SX, ran a 13.4@107 on street tires with a stock DET. If he upgrades his turbo, injectors, ECU and ran slicks, he should easily hit mid to low 12's all day.

Regarding the 2.2 stroker kit, it is PRICEY! However, there are other ways to increase the displacement of the DET that are relatively affordable.

For more information on the SR20DET.....

Check here:

Check the search engine for any specific info you seek. Also look in the technical, turbo, and also the general sections. Mike Kojima of SCC (technical editor) and Rob Cadle of (Garrett Allied Turbo) frequently peruse

the forum and provide excellent information. Otherwise, email me or PM me.

Guest Anonymous

the CA18det is an awesome engine, my friends 180sx is putting out 130rwkw with next to nothing done.. plus they're cheap as hell and very light!

the head is also a lot better built and is a true dual cam, unlike the SR20det.. which is still a great engine, but infact isnt as well built as the CA18det.. it may be faster out of the factory, but it isnt a better engine!

JUN do insane things to cars! although they can put out that much power from a sr20det, finding someone in america or australia that could do that would be very hard and very expensive. very VERY expensive more likely!

the rb20det has extremely good potential, even with stock internals and computer it can be putting out over 199rwkw.. which is pretty impressive when matched with the weight of a zed!

I've got an rb20det in my car, and similar to RBZ its a bit sluggish off boost, but because boost comes on very fast, mine gives you a ripe kick in the arse by the time you've hit 2.3k.. in first gear going over 3k is just mental, its like holding on to a bull there is so much acceleration/torque

need new suspension bad smile.gif

the ca18det has awesome low down torque and is built around the turbo, so boost comes on very early.. i think you'd be pretty right to go with any of them!

but for maximum performance i'd go the rb20det..

• 3 weeks later...
Guest AlsoRanFPrepared

Personally I am going with the SR20DET for my E-Mod 240Z. When trying to get the whole car down to 1500 pounds the smaller lighter 4 cylinder is just what I was looking for. I also wanted to stick with Nissan so I naturally limited my choices. I had considered the RB20 but due to the aftermarket support here in the US and the increased weight I opt for the SR20. Even the stock 205 HP is pretty impressive when combined with 1500 pounds. With the big intercooler, intake, exhaust, injectors and some reprogramming I should be able to approach some reliable respectable HP numbers. Imagine a 600 HP corvette in terms of power to weight.

-Mark

Guest Anonymous

JUN Japan sent a crate engine SR20DET out to Perth, Australia (where I live) about 6 months ago. It had the works - stroker kit, every other Jun bit you could think of. Also had a big Trust intercooler, Trust T88-34D turbocharger (HUGE!), and MoTeC ECU. Made something like 722hp at the rear wheels on 1.7 (or was it 1.9?) bar of boost, and Elf TurboMax fuel..

• 4 weeks later...

A note on the CA family of motors.

you an use a CA18DE head on a CA20E to make a CA20DE.

You can use a CA18DE head on a CA18ET to make a CA18DET

The CA... motors don't make alot of power and would be a waste to swap form say a L series or KA series however the CA family of engines shares it's motor mounts and trans bolt pattern with the SR20 so a SR swap into a car with a CA iwould be a bolt in swap.

• 7 months later...
Guest Anonymous

I've posted this on another thread, but I just wanted to point out that I've read that a ca block bolts up to the L6 tranny. If this is true, it would make the ca a much better canadate for an early Z swap.

And since I'm here, I was wondering about the ca18de/et. I don't remember if America ever got a ca18de; I know we got ca16de's. Would I be able to use the 1.6L head to convert an 'et' to a 'det'? And if we did get the ca18de, what car did it come in?

Guest Anonymous

By the way, the ca can be a much more potent powerplant than the sr. I't shares it's cumbustion chamber design with the vg motor, as well as some valve train components. It also has oil squirters to cool the pistons, and because it's iron, it can handle higher horsepower levels than the sr block. The only advantage to the sr20 is the avalibility of JDM parts. And that would change if people would wise up to the ca's tuning potential...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest toyotasupra17

hello i was wondering how much money and time would go into a sr20 swap im thinking of doing it i have the company im getting the engine from.....also is there any thing in the car i have to modify to do the swap?

Guest ae86drifter

to my knowledge SR20DET is FRONT SUMP making it not very compatibale with s30 that is rear sump. you'd have to modify sump and pick up to up sr20det into s30 just like rb series in s30. that alone has turned me off to the idea of sr20det in s30. i really cant decide on a motor to swap my s30.

some useful links for plenty of info on the SR20DE and CA engines and hell even the RB series

http://www.afterdarktuning.com/engines.html<list of cheap... excellent engines.. and install rates

http://www.skylinesdownunder.com < skylines galore

http://www.sr20deforum.com < SR20 powered cars, trucks.. and plenty of info

http://www.nissanforums.com < every nissan car virtually... plenty of info over swaps with CA and SR engines

http://www.classiczcar.com < plenty of members with RB and SR swaps

• 4 weeks later...
Guest FullBoostOrBust

I will be a new face around here. I will be picking up my first Nissan this weekend. A 1971 240Z. I have a Turbo mr2 that i put alot of sweat and $ into over the last 5 years and am feeling just about complete with it so i was then looking for another project car. First was the AE86 but that went away very quickly after seeing some pics of 240Z's on http://www.240Zconversions.com An RB26 would be lovely if i had $6,000+ to toss around. being in NYC makes it very hard to find a RB26 at a sane price. My friend has a Sr20DET in his nissan 240SX fastback. it has minimal upgrades but the power is balls to the wall. My plan is get this Z and restore it from the inside out first, then see what my budget is. My thoughts are it will still be in SR territory. I would deffenatly bolt on a T28 or GT25 before installing the SR.

Only problem is not only will i be doing an engine swap, i will be making the 240Z a manual tranny setup since the one i found in the North East is Automatic. Any datsun is majorly hard to come by in the n/e section of the US so i had no choice. So i will need the peddle, brackets and cylinder setup for the 240Z, i was hoping maybe i could use parts from a junk yard 80's 300ZX? or if anyone can point me in the right direction of getting these parts from a 240Z i would be very greatful.

So with my budget being kinda tight and slow i have made the SR20 a good choice for me, it will be almost mid front ship layout for great handle'n and the car will weigh around 2,100lbs i'm sure. 260 crank hp is EASLY obtainable with the SR. Now any idea's on what rear will bolt up to the SR? Thats my biggest question..what rear and drive axel to use with the SR in the 240Z. any help?