HybridZ

Put new speedometer in and now my cruise control doesnt work

80LS1T

I just upgraded my 85MPH speedo to a 130MPH speedo and now my cruise control doesnt work. My car is a 1980 280ZX. The only thing different between the speedometers that I can see is that my old one had more wires than the new one does. It's the red one and green with a black strip. Is that why my cruise doesn't work? And if so what can I do if anything to fix it?

I am not for certain if all ZX's for that year came with cruise. If it was a factory equiped option (like yours) then the speedomoters would be different. When you ordered your new speedo, did you specify that the car had cruise? If not, then there lie your problem. I would recommend sending back the speedo you acquired and replace it with the correct one.

On the other hand, if all ZX's of that year came with cruise, then there should have been a product insert that came with it containing instructions for vehicles with cruise. If not, then call the supplier. Either way, the business you ordered it from should have been knowledgable enough to catch any oversight on your behalf and get you the right part. All of this aside, I would be reluctant to splice wires to get your cruise control working; it could be more trouble than its worth. My advice is to call the supplier, tell them your problem, and get the correct part. This should solve your woes.

Grog

The cruise control computer gets feedback from the speedo to control your speed, so if you don't have the connections for the extra wires, the cruise isn't going to work. If it still has the stock fuel injection, you may also notice a lot hire idle (around 1500-1700 rpm) as the speedo feeds back into the BCDD as well to reduce emissions when you let off the throttle quickly.

Guest De Schmaydee

....there's prbly a little black plastic bar that runs atop your 85mph speedo...its a magnetic switch that feeds the cruise info (its what tells the cruise how fast your going)...it should fit on your 130....when you turn it you should see it turning off/on (hook a buzzer or lamp to it)....i never could get mine (cruise) to work...but it may have been because i changed out the whole cluster..s