HybridZ

Not a Z. But, how about a sr20det in a Miata?

Guest JAMIE T

Guest JAMIE T

A guy in town wants a shop I do some work for to do a SR20DET/Miata swap. He said no one has done it yet. I would be the one doing the fab work. Do any of you guys know if this has been done or not?

• 3 weeks later...

The 13B swap has been done a few times here in aus, but part of the problem is that the miata (or MX-5 as we know it) uses the block as a stressed member. The blokes in aus who build the bullet roadster (13B, 20B or 1UZFE powered miata) had to build a tube frame front end to get around this. I imagine a brace could be made up easily enough, but it might create a problem trying to fit an engine in there too smile.gif

in summary, the fab work to fit an SR20 would be interesting, good luck! A lot of people have had success turboing the existing motor, even on standard internals...

see here for some ideas:

http://autospeed.com.au/A_1559/page1.html

(200 *real* rwhp turbo miata)

Now, there's a bloke in a local workshop who's taken a miata and mid-mounted a ferrari v8 & transaxle using a completely custom made rear end... road legal, too! smile.gif

the bullet roadster doesn't use the stock miata front end, they had to design a new one that doesn't use the engine as a stressed member, in the process leaving enough room for a v8, as seen here:

yellowlongnose.jpg

whether the v8 fits into the stock mazda engine bay is another matter, but it'd surprise me if there was enough room given that this thing comes with an upright inline 4...

Guest VertexZ

Mazda Australia released 50 MX5 (Miata) SP - a turbo verions of the stock 1.8l which puts out 150kw...

it sold for about $AUD10,000 more than the stock one - about a 20% premium

SR20DET would put out about the same amount of power stock i think

they have those monster miata kits.

me- i like that 13bt motor in a miata.

wroooooooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm- fun fun fun and the dash will buzz at redline but i always ignore it.