HybridZ

Alternator upgrade on '73 Z

I was going to do the alternator upgrade with the Motorsport alternator upgrade plug but they said won't work on '73 becaused of electic fuel pump.  I know some disconnect the electric pump but is there a way to still use it & upgrade.  Does it require rewire of fuel pump?  Any alternatives?  Need to do this upgrade to proceed with the other standard upgrades such as radiator w/fans, updated lighting, & etc.  Help deeply appreciated.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, they have a point. On my 73 the electric pump would not work with the alternator upgrade plug, using the stock Datsun "ADD-ON" harness. And by that I mean the short "extension" pigtail at the voltage regulator that adds a yellow wire back to the interior along with an extra wire from the starter solenoid also going into the interior. These two wires, along with additional wires from under the dash, feed into 2 relays in the passenger foot-well area. I ended up removing all that added-on wiring and 2 relays, and connected the connectors behind the radio but spliced in a fuel inertia cut-off switch for safety sake. Pump comes on when the key is in the run position (still using the stock wiring back at the pump). Seems like a bit of a pain, but the alternator upgrade is well worth it, and removing all the excess harness and relays helps to clean things up in the engine bay and in the passenger area. At some point in the future I plan on adding a hidden anti-theft switch and a relay to the system so the pump won't activate unless a hidden switch is turned on, but for now this works.

• 2 weeks later...

A very simple upgrade that is often overlooked, is an upgrade to  a more powerfull " externally " regulated alternator from a 280Z ( 1975 thu 1977 would work . 1978 went to Internal Regulator). That would solve your electric fuel pump issue in a jiffy, as wiring is EXACTLY the same as factory 240Z. No " adapter " plug needed..

You can get these in 50 AMP and 60 AMP models. Cheap too if you know where to look. ( Haven't read Forum advertiser link policy fully ), but Google is your friend. Less than $60 for a 50 AMP and less than $90 for a 60 AMP.

Nothing wrong with a " good " Mechanical external regulator. And thereare some Solid State external regulators available that eliminate the mechanical relays. Hard to find, but thye are out there. A buddy of mine hasbeen running a SolidStae external regulator with no issues for 15 years.