HybridZ

rear engine switch?

cameraobsess

There's a nicely done Civic around here with an Acura V6 mid/rear engine. The car has big boxed rear quarters and looks like a Renault 5. Charcoal grey metallic, it looks like a production car and is quick in autocross. I think I've seen it in a magazine or two. Personally, I don't care what brand of car or components are involved and appreciate the engineering, creativity, fabrication skill, workmanship, and performance. DAW

Back in the early 1980s my ex-brother-in-law had a 1967 Dodge Tradesman van that was an old Sears repair van. He left it Sears blue/green, with all the Sears logos and lettering, and it still had the ladder rack with a ladder tied to it.

Inside he installed a worked over 440 Magnum with a 727 Torqueflight and some kind of Dana rear with 4.56 gears. The engine was set back about 12" and lowered in the chassis about 4". Those old Tradesman vans had the engine sitting inside the van in a dog house next to the driver's seat.

The rear was narrowed and the interior tubbed so he could run 14" wide street slicks on blue/green painted steel wheels and he had some Lakewood ladder bars running forward to the transmisison mount.

That van would run 11.2s in the 1/4 all day long. He could also pull the front wheels 3' off the ground and hold them there until he hit 2nd gear.

Every weekend he would drive to different parts of Southern California and try to work up some street races. Unless he was recognized he could usually scare up a few races and make a couple hundred dollars.

By about 1985 the van and he were so well known no one would race him. He sold it to someone in Arizona in 1986. I always wonder what happened to that van.

• 1 month later...
Guest DueceDawgyDogg

Theres a guy here in Houston who has a 80's Porsche, not sure if its a 911 or something that looks remarkably close, but anyways, he has a LS1 with a Vortec supercharger on it. He put the radiator in the spoiler and is using the Porsche's stock tranny gears in a custom made bell housing. Pretty damn sweet looking, he hasn't taken it to the track yet to my knowledge, but he thinks its a low 10 easy. Sounds wicked fast too, just whistles at idle. :eek: