HybridZ

4L80e vs 4L60e in 240z Trans tunnel

Thank you for the response.  I figured more pounding on the tunnel was required.  My driver side is fine, its just the passenger side.  I can still drop the pan, though, to service the filter.

I am thinking about going with an oval exhaust to get some more clearance.

Someday, I'm hoping that I'll be able to put the new 8L90 with paddleshift into my Z.....faster shifting than the Porsche and 8 gears....oh, that would be fun!!  It'll take some serious floor/tunnel modification, but may be worth it.  After driving a Ferrari 360 Challenge car, I really want a true paddleshift setup, but after talking to the guys who have it with the 4L60E say it's not really worth doing.  Guess I have to try one to see if it's worth putting the paddleshift setup in my car now.  Anyone have any experience with the TCI or other setups?  I know it's slow and not like most newer cars. 

Slow shifting? I have some knowledge of the 4L85E and with a suitable aftermarket TCU shifting can be adjusted to give a very fast shift. It all has to be done by someone with experience though because there are several relevant adjustments and their interaction has to be got right to keep the shift smooth without excessive internal slipping, I've been told by a guru that the original GM TCU is also similarly adjustable.

Edited by 260DET

Little off topic. I just installed a flex plate shield and had to cut into the firewall to prevent from moving the engine forward. I ended up recessing it about 4 inches, this only took minor hammering in the tunnel to get the pan area to fit. No room for exhaust in the tunnel. But being a 90% drag car, I was able to slide the engine back and with an fbody balancer, the front face of it is behind the steering rack now