HybridZ

how to flare aluminum tubing for use with AN fittings

Hey guys, i have .5 aluminum hard line runnig to the front fo my car. I need to flare it so i can use the tube nuts. What do i flare this with? can i do a single flare? double flare? I have heard that the flare on an AN fitting isnt the same as a normal auto parts store flaring tool.... HELLLLLPPPP

Thanks guys- Evan

i dont think you can do that flare. i've never tried but i have both normal and double flare tools.

if they make it i would think its a special tool.

try Neely at http://www.anplumbing.com he'll know if they make it or not.

generally a AN flare is in the fitting. and generally goes to flex. steel line not solid alum line.

you should use a brass end with a ferrule to a pipe fitting or whatever end you need .

i believe the AN flares are 43degrees. dont know what a normal flare tool does.

------------------

Mike

mike@fonebooth.com

http://www.fonebooth.com/brakes.html

raceparts and brake upgrades.

I used brass compression fittings on the 3/8" aluminum tubing, connected to a brass pipe fitting into either a hose nipple (for fuel hose) or a NPT fitting into a Holley regulator. I hope this is a good way to do it. I will be checking for leaks when I get fuel in the tank before the first start of the engine, and pressurize the system.

If you do flare it, you should be real careful when flaring the aluminum tubing. Get out the magnifying glass and inspect the flare for cracks. They can only grow.

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project - pparaska@home.com">pparaska@home.com -

Thanks guys, i found out how to do it, let me share.

There are things called tube nuts, and tube sleeves. The way they work is you slide on the tube nut, then slide on the tube sleeve. You then flare the tubing, slide the nut and sleeve up too the flare and VIOLA a flared an fitting. They are avalible thorugh jegs and summit. My buddy did this and has had no problems at all. You guys are correct though, and i do belive that there is a special flare tool that i can borrow from my speed shop if i kiss some serious butt.

Thanks- Evan