HybridZ

Fuel Cell install is almost done...

Mikelly

....I welded in the 2inch wide, 1/8th inch thick channel frame for the cell last night and it is gonna be slick. I also drilled the 18 holes needed to secure the safe into the frame. I'll be prepping and sealing the area and then putting some sealer down on the frame mounting area before permanently securing the cell into its new home. I'll post some pics over the weekend, and of course I'll show how the recessed filler will work as I get the unit mounted behind the license plate. However, a full write up and tech article won't follow here... It will be featured in a future edition of SportZ magazine, so stay tuned!

This unit appears to be much safer with the blader housed inside of the steel can, and the filler external to the car! 22 Gallons will be sweet too!

Mike

------------------

http://hometown.aol.com/dat74z/myhomepage/auto.html

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

Guest Frank280z

Mike, You seem to know about these units. I'm using a circle track polycell. Reason-basic, cheap and the fuel trap. But now I'm biting the bullet. I'm not using a return from the carb. So I use the return for a vent out with an6 ss line to the air. When I get on it. Fuel comes out. Is it necessary to vent the cell. Or will I get vapor lock. I just might upgrade to a alum. unit with the sump. Any input??? Thanks Frank

Clint, thanks for the compliment, being published is a dream come true for me...if it comes true...still got to write the darned article and get it through edit!

Frank,

Don't go with the aluminum unit. I hate saying this, but I sold Scottie mine and he is having the same fuel realted problem I was. Keep the poly unit, and plumb (Drill a hole which is what I did!) a new hole for the main line in the center in front of or behind the bail (No more left turn specific pickup!) and use your vent roll over valve plumbed to an outside source. the check ball in the valve won't let gas out, and you now have the additional source for your return! All of this will be documented in the article!

Mike

------------------

mjk

I look forward to the pictures and write-up! I have my spare tire-well cut out but I haven't decided on the fuel cell yet. I want to leave room for the exhaust on both sides of the cell so I'm not sure the 22 gallon will fit. I'm also REALLY interested in how you handled the external inlet and venting.

Guest Frank280z

I'm using a 16 gallon. Measures 23"x17"x11". Fab'd the rear deck to center it. After I cut out the spare tire section. I see the 22 gallons coming in around 25"x17"x14". Is this about right Mike? With the 23" I had room to spare. Not much. But there is room to fit. 22 is nice. Especially when your running a powerhouse like Mikes. Does anybody carry the spare around with the cell installed? My guess is no. But still curious.

Yup Frank, the measurements are correct. I centered mine to give the exhaust plenty of room. I'll be able to turn my mufflers up on end (Like the Zmuffler kits sold by Dynomax) and run them out each side with plenty of room!

No spare... If I get a flat, its rollback time! I do carry a tire plug kit & plug in compressor!

Mike

------------------

mjk

The cell preperation is complete. I have completed the weld in frame I created, primed, painted and sealed! I have pics taken and I have started to work on the article. I'll have a finished product and gas back in the car and all lines run properly by mid-febuary!

Mike

------------------

mjk

Cell is complete. Now I just have to plumb the lines and I'm done with the process... Interesting side note... the camera with some of the pics in it fell off a work bench and opened up...exposing the film for the article... Guess I'm gonna have to do up some additional pics. I sealed the deck mounting surface last night and bolt the cell in place. Today I'll trim out the sealer overlap and start plumbing lines!

Mike

------------------

mjk

Funny thing about time management... I made clear before I started this redoing of the project that I would stop for 45 minutes in the evening and eat with the family, and I would also take one night during the week and do nothing with the car, watch a movie, play a game, something interactive with the family. Last night, 9:15 and Donna has slipped into something more comfortable for the evening...I need a third hand.. She comes out into the garage after putting on some sweats and she helps me finish bolting the cell in before the sealer dries! We spent 10 minutes at the sink with hand cleaner, getting the sealer off our hands... She was laughing and loved it. I'm so lucky.

Make a plan, and set a timeframe for completion and then get "buy in" from the rest of the folks in your life... Then as NiKe says... Just do iT!

I'll have coilovers done tonight!

Mike

------------------

mjk