HybridZ

DIY MSD rpm 'pills'

Shouldn't this go under the "Are we ingenious or just cheap" thread? smile.gif

Looks like a lot of work...If you saw my progress on LED taillites, you'll know I gave up because I hate soldering! These MSD pills don't cost that much do they?

And as for pills tailored to your needs, can't you just use the MSD rpm selector dial thing?

Cheap I am, but if I'm gonna get pissed trying to do something I'll just buy it! smile.gif

Owen

------------------

http://www.homestead.com/s30z/index.html

Man, that is cool. I can even understand it too! I was toying with idea of eventually buying an MSD Digital 6, but this is really cool because I can custom tailor any module (pill) for my needs. Much cheaper then buying them from MSD...

Thanks for posting that information!!!

David

quote:

Originally posted by DavyZ:

Man, that is cool. I can even understand it too!

Thanks for posting that information!!!

David

Thanks smile.gif I know we all have different talents and I'm no electrical guru but I'd give radshack a couple bucks and heat up the soldering iron and justify buying a solder 'remover' (if neeeded) to save the dough for additional MSD pills. Nothing that can't be custom built or ordered but if my scrooge self can build it in reasonable time/effort I will. I've always harped without deals/coupons I'd just have/be doing that much less so long live deals;^)

Ross (coupon) Corrigan ;^)

------------------

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Ross sent me that URL a while ago. One issue is that you'll need some precision resistors or an assortment of non-precision ones to choose from. The resistance values are pretty tight, and a tolerance of the normal 10% for non-precision resistors will make it tough to hit the rpm to the multiple of 100 that you might want.

That said, I'm going to at least make up resistor that I can hook in parallel to the 6000 rpm one I have to make the total give a 3000 rpm rev limit, for valet and wife use wink.gif, if ever needed. I'm also considering a similar setup (multiple resistors in parallel, in or out of the circuit with switches) for starting line and down-the-track rev limit settings.

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project

pparaska@home.com

Pete's V8 Datsun 240Z Pages

Heh, what does MSD chrge for the 2 step rev limiter? $100? You can duplicate it doing what pete said (parallel pills with a toggle) for about $5. I think thats ingenious rather than cheap. smile.gif

------------------

"Nothing is fool proof to a sufficiently talented fool."

Richard Lewis - 1972 240z, Powered by a Nissan 2.8L Turbo Inline 6.

Drax240's Turbo Site

Beginners Turbo FAQ & Answers