HybridZ

MSD boxes

Guest zfan

Guest zfan

Im currently running the pr billet msd distributor, MSD 6al box and blaster 2 coil on my small block 355. Ive had several tuning issues,missing, back fire in higher rpm range. Ive set timing played with fuel mixture, plugs etc..

Have begun to hear some pretty negative things re: MSD boxes! Would I be better of disconnecting box and run without it. If it is even possible? Has anyone had the same problem? Buddy of mine and my Father as well do not like them and have said if your not racing and making extreme rpm's then they are a waist as good ol GM HEI's are as good if not better. Especially for reliability!

Well any imput pros or con would be appreciated. Thanks zfan/Mike

I have not heard too many bad things about MSD boxes or their distributors either.

The GM HEI is a good distributor and has a coil inside. Their effective voltage is good up to about 4000rpm or so (depends on who you read and who you believe) and after that the voltage drops off considerably. What rpm range do you run? If you find yourself bumping into 6000rpm often, upgrade an HEI to a hotter coil and/or ignition unit. Would you believe MSD makes the best module for the HEI according to David Vizard? Accel also makes a unit that is pretty good and cheaper too. If you are really not satisfied with your MSD stuff email me...

David