HybridZ

New Dart pro 1 cnc

Has anyone else noticed the tests coming out with the new CNC Pro1s? I wasn't impressed with the flow #s of th first generation of pro1s, but the new cncs may be a hot item. Great flow #s with the new 215s, while maintaining high port velocity for low end. My engine builder just tested some of the new models and claim they literally blow away the old ones. Just when I was happy with my 195 AFR decision.

JS

LOOK THIS OVER AND CALL JEFF AT http://www.ondoperformance.com/ FOR HELP IF YOU REALLY WANT THE HEADS TO FLOW.

the AFR flow better out of the box but the DART PRO 1s are the prefered head for extensive porting and can be ported to flow bigger numbers by someone that knows how!heres what a professional porting shop says on the DART PRO- 1 heads: http://www.ondoperformance.com/

here is a average sheet on a set of the 230cc versions, they finish up at

238cc's. for a full stage 3 job the price is $975.00, a stage 2 would be

$650.00. intake matching is $75.00

this may be a bit better

230cc average:

Int Exh

100 ... 84... 100... 55

200 ... 151.. 200... 123

300 ... 208.. 300... 174

400 ... 253.. 400... 209

500 ... 290.. 500... 235

600 ... 316.. 600... 244

700 ... 330.. 700... 254

800 ... 321.. 800... 257

215cc average:

Int Exh

100... 85... 100 ... 55

200... 148.. 200 ... 116

300... 201.. 300 ... 168

400... 246.. 400 ... 200

500... 281.. 500 ... 219

600... 296.. 600 ... 231

700... 303.. 700 ... 238

800... 303.. 800 ... 244

Thanks for the info. The #s I got form dart on the Pro 1 215s weren't very impressive in my book. The AFR 195s flow better. What I was referring to was the NEW CNC PORTED Pro1s. My engine builder, flow bench equipped, good reputation, has a set of new, nicely ported Pro1s from last year, and brand new out of box cnc pro1s. Same size cfm, 230s I beleive. On his flow bench the CNC are way, way up in the flow #s. So good in fact the owner of the last year heads is selling them in order to buy the new model. When I called Dart a few months back, they weren't yet producing the fully CNC ported models. Talked to a racer on Prestage.com and he said he spent a fortune getting his 215s to flow 300+cfm. If the new ones flow decent #s out of box, then the head wars are on!I have someone working on finding the new flow #s.

JS

John, if you have a reliable/repuatable flowbench in your area you may want to have some flowed yourself for comparison. It's been shown time and again how much published numbers can vary etc. It's really fine to get two types of heads flowed on the same bench by someone you trust. (been some slanting on AFR and other numbers in the past) Stats/numbers can prove anything depending on their twist......it'll be a helluva setup when you're done.

Guest Anonymous

ross c is correct in the fact of published numbers being inflated. i want to stress upon you not to let flow numbers be the only determining factor for you. it is of the utmost importance to match the cubic inch to the correct runner volume for the intended rpm range of your motor. lets not forget about velocity and swirl. dont just look at the top number, you have to look at the entire range of lift. would you rather have a head that topped out with 340cfm at .700 lift and was horrible in the lower numbers or would you rather have a head that tops out at 320cfm at .700 lift that just kicked ass all the way thru the lift range. the area under the curve is very important. all of these must be used in your decision, not just raw flow numbers. i can tell you from experience what works and what doesnt, what makes more power on the dyno and which combnation will get you down the track faster. national dragster had an excellent article about a year ago entitled flow number falcies. in the article were some interviews from top pro stock engine builders addressing the fact that a winning combination entails much more than just raw flow numbers, ill try to dig the article up and post it. i would be happy to help anyone with any questions they might have, just drop me a line. thanks, jeff - http://www.ondoperformance.com

The more information the better. You bring up good points about head selection. The reason I liked the 195AFRs was their fantastic flow #s at the lower lift values, not just the final # at maximum lift. I found out my builder was comparing the last years Pro1 227 vs the new CNC 227s. The new ones were flowing impressive #s out of the box. I'm getting the #s for the 215s this week from a Dart tech, and will print them when I get them. Update 12/3/01. I guess it was just bench racer hype and rumors. Yes they have new cnc heads, but not in the 215s. 227 230s apparently have the room for the machining.

JS

JS