HybridZ

msd blaster coil problems

Guest zcars74

Guest zcars74

I recently put a blaster 2 coil on my 260z and now my car misses real bad. Me and a friend tried

disconnecting the ignition switch and hot wired the car. We found that it didn't miss any more then we reconnected the ignition switch and used the key to start the car and back to the missing again.. What can I do to fix this? I don't really wanna hot wire the car just so it doesn't miss any more. My ignition switch is brand new. malebitchslap.gif

What your getting is a voltage drop from the ignition switch to the coil. The way to verify this is take your voltmeter and put on lead on the coil & the other at the ignition switch. The resulting reading will be the amout of drop accross the circuit. It should be near zero as this is a short run, any more and you will need to re run the circuit or install a load relay to do the work. Rick tongue.gif

Guest Anonymous

I had a thought, that coil would be a 12V coil, correct? I am not sure, it just popped into my head, but would a 74 260z have a dropping resistor, to provide the coil with only 6-9 volts, instead of the 12 that a newer style coil needs?

I'm tired, and that was bad, but just a thought,

Kris

P.S. If you have a multimeter, I would check that too, see what the actual voltage is at key on

Guest Anonymous

I'm glad you got it fixed man!

Now If only I could get my ignition troubles solved we could all be happy!!! sour.gif damn ignition system! Never has worked right! smile.gif

One of these days I'm gonna rip it all out and go with an early z dist. (280zx) with a remote mounted module, and convert to a GM hei module.... as soon as I can find more information on it!

Well, glad to see I helped!

Kris