HybridZ

how do i install a ZX dizzy into 77 280Z?

Sparky

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

first you will need to put the dist base from the zx on your 280z.timing cover.there are 2 spade conections coming out of the ign box (they are very small) one is "c" and one is "b". make two wires with male conectors to fit the ones on the ignition box and two to whatever conections you have on your coil.then put the "c" side wire to the negative - side of the coil and the "b" side to the positive + side of the coil. start the car time the thing and happy motoring.

thanks for the help. the module im using also has a plug type connector at the bottom..do i need this for anything? (e12-93 module)(me thinkg its from a max) also, by doing this..can i unplug the ignition box thats on the passenger side footwell?

thanks in advance!

Guest Anonymous

i would unplug the footwell module.you will need to use an earlier modulewith only 2 terminals.i have a whole box full of these dist and modules if you want them pay for shipping and it`s all yours.

sweet! again mucho thanks for the help...ive been studying the diagram in my spare time to try and find what i can eliminate and what i can simplify. i was worried about the module that i bought...i should have known better..the guy i bought it from said that he had it on his 280ZX NA. i guess not eh?

are the extra modules you have A-ok? if so ill gladly send you a M.O. ASAP! just let me know!

thanks again and again!

Guest Anonymous

just e-mail me your address and pay the shipping i will ship you a box of ign boxes as well as a couple of dist( some assembly required). i think one may be from a 4cyl. they are the same you just have to change the guts to a 6cyl. a zx dist cost about 30.00 at a pic in pull wrecking yard. i know napa sells them rebuilt for around 200 or so.the problem that i have found with the zx dist is that with contiued high rpm use the brass bushing becomes worn and the dist starts to wobble at high rpm. so i went to a mallory unilight triggering a msd didital 6.

and your running the mallory with the bosch FI? you just take the (-) from the coil and take the lead to the blue wire on the ECU right?...that sounds like a nice setup...

ill drop you a line ASAP..as im late for work...and will be at work fri sat sun from 8AM to 930PM.....fun fun fun!

thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

hey sss510 when you say that the dist causes the rpm to wobble... do you mean that the rpms jump around due to some condition? please explain

Guest Anonymous

i have had problems with zx dist when i was repeatedly running high rpm. the bushing in the lower half of the dist will wear causing the dist to have erractic timing at high rpm.i have seen this so bad in some cars that they won`t even start. this is why i went to mallory unilight, i have controll of the advance curve and the dist are easily rebuildable.