HybridZ

Ballast Resitor

I just read a post where someone was asking about swapping in a later model distributor without points. Had a friend ask about doing the swap, and I couldn't give much info, so I checked out the link before sending it over to him. I read about the Ballast Resistor. I knew what it was, but didn't know how it worked exactly. From Brian Little's site it states that the coil gets a full 12-14V while the car is cranking to help start, but then when the key goes back into the on possition the resistor is put between the possitive power wire to the coil reducing the voltage output to like 6-8 volts. This is so that the stock coil won't over heat.

Well, I'm not running the old coil anymore in the `73 w/L24ET, and I have had problems reving past 5.5K RPMs and running rich under heavy load. I bypassed the ballast resistor and took it for a drive and noticed a BIG difference b_hand.gif

The car was actually running lean now that it can burn all of the fuel, and the mid to high range power has a large improvement. I dialed in more fuel and it converted the added fuel into more power.

If any of you guys have converted over to the more modern coils, or aftermarket coils then I think you're free to take the resistor out of there, and here come the big grins :D

Excellent bang for the buck! Actually, the resistor is not for the coil but for points. Notice the coils always have 12v stamped on them? The resistor keeps the current down so the points don't get cooked. A set of points running at 12v will nuke in a day or so vs. several years with the ballast.

I see, I guess I was pulling power from there for my coil. Big mistake. Brian Little's page says it is power to the coil, but I guess just for the points is possible, too.

Anyways, my 3 speed auto is not taking the power very well. Anyone know where a link to the starion 4 speed tranny upgrade is available? I think you just take the bell housing from a maxima, the complete tranny from the starion - bell housing, drive line from maxima, then have to shorten drive line a little. Does this sound right?