HybridZ

Non-HEI GM distributor?

RPMS

Hey, guys.

Did GM ever make a electronically triggered (no points) vacuum advance distributor that wasn't HEI that will fit a 350? I want something simpler and smaller than the HEI setups to run with my current MSD box, something I can pull out of a junked car and swap out for cheap.

Thanks,

Yes. And no. In the 60's they had capacitive discharge ignition that was optional on high performance cars. It is expensive and hard to come by. The later model cars have a smaller cap "HEI" ignition, but they are computer controlled. Some of the new electronic ignition curve boxes might be adaptable, however. I bought the MSD ready to run distributor. Uses the old points style cap and you just hook up two wires.

Yeah, Mike, I like the MSD distributor, too. Problem is, I'm halfway through gathering the parts for my swap, and I had to take a BIG pay cut at work. I've got a functional HEI distributor sitting in my garage, but it's so darned BIG!

With the smaller MSD distributor, do you still have hood latch clearance issues?

You can always trigger your MSD from a points distributor. Using the points as a low voltage switch gives them a life span 10 times that of a regular points ignition. Just adjust to accomodate block wear every couple of years. Also, things like dwell will be controlled by the MSD. Works really well actually.

Since GM didn't do it, does anyone have a favorite conversion (slip on adapter/star wheel and a Mopar style pickup coil perhaps) for the early points type distributor? I'd prefer to trigger my spark box with a magnetic pulse and get away from shaft/bushing wear and the possibility of point float. (Much less wear with no side forces!)

Guest Anonymous

Not sure it'll trigger a external box, but there is those pertronix kits that fit a point distributor, its just a pickup that replaces the points and a sleeve that goes over the distributor cam as I recall.

Regards,

Lone

I used the Pertronix in my last car for over 7 years on the 240 distributor. I cooked the Pertronix I put in my current car doing a compression check. twak.gif Crane also makes a conversion they call the XR7000 that comes with a hall effect pickup and their box, but you can use the MSD instead. Also, Mallory has a Unilite conversion for the points distributor. Mallory also makes a magnetic pickup distributor that uses their tiny cap and their distributors are short as well which makes for more clearance at the firewall. All of those options are from the $60 range for the Pertronix up to $200 or so for the Mallory distributor.