HybridZ

Starter question

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey guys

I just picked up a 280z with a starter / power problem. No power- No anything. Key on / key off- nadda. I took the new starter off and ran it to a shop and had them test it. It worked fine. When I reinstalled it back onto the car I noticed that a wire with a fitting the same size as the one on the end of the positive cable comming out of the wire harness. Does anyone know if this wire goes on the positive post? Any help with this would be MUCH appreacted!

Kyle

check the fusible links, do the lights and everything else work? on a 280z- when one of the efi fusible links goes out, your radio will go out too, but youre lights and everything else will fully function, in my 78, i would keep the radio on all the time, even if there wasnt music coming out of it, when the music died-thats when i replaced links and boom-vroom go. good luck.

Guest Anonymous

No- I have nothing! No power what's so ever. I picked this car up from a shop where the guy had take it thinking his buddy would fix it for free. That was over a year ago. His buddy said that he drove it to work and when he came out, it wouldnt start, but would turn over. He replaced the starter and and after that, nothing worked. No door tone, no lights, no radio..... Hold on, it doesnt have a radio, so I really cant say.

If your friend hooked up the starter wrong then that would explain the no power. The positive side of the cable might not be hooked up but we need like a picture or specifics to figure out if that is the cable going to the stater. Check if the negative or ground cables are also attatched properly.

If you have no power they why are you messing with the starter?

The place to start is the battery. Pull if off, clean the terminals and hook it up a battery charger for a couple of hours. Hook up a test light to check for life or take it back to the same place that checked your starter and have them check the battery.

If all is well, then put it back into the car and see if the headlights/horn/turn signals/something electrical works. If still nothing, then start checking the wiring/fuseable links or come back here for more help.

Guest Anonymous

I wish I had a digital camera to post some pics but unfortunatly I dont. After reviewing the wiring diagram, the starter was not reinstalled properly. The wire comming out of the harness that was not reinstalled needs to be on the positive post. This wire is the one that feeds power to the fuseable links and the starter switch (I hope). The only thing that was installed was the pos, neg battery cables and a small wire that goes to a clip on top of the cylindoid. There (I once again hope) is a white wire that wasnt installed. It's this wire that comes out of the harness. Remind me that once I get it installed to have someone on hand with a fire extingusher when I reinstall and try to crank it.

Guest Anonymous

Ok- Latest update

Sunday, I placed the white wire on the starter and cranked. Guess what, it cranked. Didnt start, but cranked. Went to the pick n pull today to find some interior parts to finish up with and got home, changed the fuel filter and went to crank and WHAM! nothing. No crank. But unlike before, I still had some of my dashboard lights. Hummmmmmmmmmm can a starter go numb overnight?

Anyway. I took off the Fuse links and checked them, they are good. So that isnt it. Something tells me that I have a short somewhere....... I really hate electrial problems.

Kyle