HybridZ

what can i do f my z does not have a key ?

Guest 2002sentraSER

Guest 2002sentraSER

can i cpy someone elses z car key or do i have to replace the whole turn key part of the ignition and also i have no keys for the rest of the car is there a way to use a ghetto key or a flat head screw driver or something to see if the tailgate functions or not please advise on what to do

some locksmiths will come to your house, call around and find one that specializes in automobiles, you will be suprised at what these guys can do, downright scared sometimes, tell them the scoop they should be able to hook you up in an hour or so, but may be kinda pricy, almost or maybe more than a new ignition switch, oops this is datsun we are talking about, price the switch first, then call around.

Guest Anonymous

Take your ignition switch out from the turn signal/ignition cluster unit on the steering shaft.After the ignition switch is removed, you can start the car with a flat blade instrument as a screw driver in the remaining slot that was under the ignition switch. You can take your ignition switch to a lock smith to be re-keyed and if you can remove the the lock for the hatch that too can be re-keyed the same.I would try to find other Datsun and similar keys that would fit or about one out of ten will fit . Those double side keys are a convenience to place a key in the ignition up or down since they actually fit a onesided lockway... no two sided lockways on Datsuns

It's very scarry how some Z car keys are so interchangable, I guess a lot of it has to do with things getting warn.

Little off topic here, but donno where else to stick this... There is a local car dealership that has some not so nice sales people, real small place, pretty trashy. Anyways, they had a 240z on their lot, WAY over priced, and I happen to see it after hours, so I'm looking at, but am curious as to what's under the hood. I have 3 Z keys on my key ring at all times and found one that would open the car up, just for fun I started the car up. Thought about leaving it on and locking her up, but I'm not that evil flamedevil.gif I generally respect other people's property much more.

Can't stress enough how volnerable our Z's may be. Would be smart to have at least a fuel pump, or ignition switch hidden somewhere.

• 2 months later...
Guest polarity

I have actually done what i consider to be a 'hidden' ignition switch. key must be in and turned to 'on'.

**quick history to understand story**

I replaced the dash in my 79 280ZX with a dash out of an 83 280ZX (i belive). Anyway on the new dash there was 1 extra knob that my car did not have. On the far left hand side of the dash, its a knob that pulls out two clicks, and also you can turn it to the right a half turn and it springs back automatically (i was thinking maybe rear wiper or something)

** history over**

anyway, so I wired that up to my starter, and really I like it. Before I used that I had just put in a simple push button ignition (before i replaced the dash)

Billy

Guest Philanthr0py

i don't know for datsons, but for toyotas, if you don't plan on keeping your key, sand it down so that it's pretty flat, then it'll fit and start pretty much any older model cars, toyota especially.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Dude, you might be in luck. On some cars, there is a codew on a sticker on the inside of the glove compartment door, or maybe written in your owner's manual ( if you got the original.) all you gotta do is give the number to a good locksmith, and he'll make you a key.