HybridZ

96-98 S10 Donor for 4.3L and 5 sp?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Great Site!

I have a daily driver '82 280zx 2+2 5 sp non-turbo that needs a new engine. The 4.3L chevy V6 seems like an excellent power source while still keeping the front end light for autocross (solo I and solo II). However, I would like to avoid some headaches by buying an engine/trans that doesn't need a rebuild (although changing the cam will be very tempting) still bolted together with all the accesories. Would a '96-'98 (for the vortec heads)chevy 2wd truck engine/trans/starter/etc fit in my z-car? I plan to try to keep the stock FI/computer and tune by changine the signal from the sensors. Does anyone know if the Z master cylinder is compatable with this 5sp? Is this 5sp the WC version? If I use an oil pan from a Astro 4.3 L will I be able to mount the engine lower for a lower Cg?

Thanks for any info.

RGB, welcome aboard! 85 was the first year for chevy to start the Vortec. Up until 92 4.3s were pretty much the same. 86 went to one piece seals, 87-up used roller cams.Somewhere along the 4.3 line the motor went to a balance shaft design. I don't know diddly about it so you'll have to research the performance potential. I've heard the heads from 93-96 are preferred. Best stock rods are from 96-98 models.

This won't be a bolt in as custom mounts will need to be made. Look into modifying Harmons Chevy parts 1 800 851 2433, for their chevy II conversion mounts. They look very similar to what I concocted from two old Z motor brackets and some pipe. Astro pan will fit fine. I am currently running about 3" clearance off the ground with mine. I can send you pictures of my mount system if you'd like.

I'd avoid the truck transmission. The gearing is all wrong for the Z, way too low 1st. Torque rating is really wimpy too. No provisions for mechanical speedo with w/c tailhousing.

Dont underestimate the v8 equipped with aluminum heads, water pump. manifold, for a really great weight balance. It will be an easier swap. Performance additions are lots cheaper and you start out with more power. If you are determined to use the 4.3, once the motor mounts are fabricated, the rest is straight forward. My weight balance is 49/51.

JS

[This message has been edited by John Scott (edited February 09, 2001).]

• 4 weeks later...