HybridZ

Lingering questions...

Guest Dan0myte

Entire swap, to a GN drivetrain, including purchase of car wpaint&bodywork done, for $8K?!

Umm, no I don't see it happening. I'm sorry but by the time all of the little knit noidy stuff is added in you're going to be looking at more than that. Going to do brakes and suspension? More money. Want a decent paint job? Ouch!

If you've only got $8K to spend buy a decent car in good shape that doesn't need bodywork. Then consider something like a turbo motor from a 280ZXT. These are cheap, can be made to run well, and you'll probably make it within your budget pretty eaily. GN motors on the other hand are NOT cheap and if you're paying shop labor to do things I'd figure several grand in that alone for the GN swap... Guys, am I way off base here?

8K US... It can take you far!

Budget $3000 for the car, and find the best, most rust free car you can. This will save you thousands later on, not to mention a bunch of frustration.

That leaves you $5k for engine, suspension, brakes, chassis. I'd suggest doing vented & rear rotor conversion, coilovers, performace struts, urethane bushings, and a 4 point cage as a minimum. I'd say that will leave you about $2500 for engine. Find a junkyard turbo motor/tranny, spend a few bucks on an SDS and maybe a few other engine mods.

This setup will be fast, handle and brake well, and with the SDS you'll have lots of room to grow power wise. A few bolt on mods and you can push 300rwhp pretty easily.

Guest Dan0myte

Yeah, about $8k usd. More like $13k cdn.

This is the plan so far:

-A car for $2500

-Take it home, strip it to just the body

-Paint for $2000

-Have it towed to some V8 performance shop that will agree to do it

-Buy GN engine & tranny $2500us ($3800cdn)

- Shop costs, can't see it more than $2000

- Misc parts needed for buildup, including driveshaft, rear end, brakes, etc. $1500

Total: $11,800. That still leaves me with cash leftover for license, registration and gas.

Anything seem unrealistic here?

Paint for $2000 is not unreasonable, but others have spent more icon_wink.gif.

$2000 for swap labor is about 35-40 hours, not including parts. It COULD go much higher, I'd think, if stuff needs to be custom fabbed. This one is the big unknown IMO.

Dan, have you contacted DrewZ to see his car? He's in regina with you... He's got a 260Z with 350/dual TBI setup. I'm sure he can help you find someone in town that can do the work for you since he was in the automotive buisiness for quite a while. Plus you should see his $50 car! LOL.

Search here, or email me for his email address/phone number/etc.

I'm with Dan, the shop labor is the wildcard here. $2K at my friend's shop doesn't take long if you're haivng major work done. Perhapa get themotor swapped in before the bodywork in order to make sure you've got enough money? I still think spending more ona body that doesn't need paint is th ebes idea. I'm not super hot on my car's color but it sure beats paint jail icon_biggrin.gif

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Dan0myte

I've seen a couple Z hybrids running around Saskatchewan lately. Is DrewZ the one with just the primer on it right now? Saw it out racing at SIR. Expected more than a low 14 out of it for having a SBC.