HybridZ

building buick v6 need help

chucky

I am thinking of building a v6 for my 79 280zx. I read a book that mentions kenne bell makes lots of performance parts, but I can't find much info on the web. the other question I have is. I want to try to get close to 300hp out of my motor(84 0lds 231) and I was wondering if it can be done with an NA motor or will I need to build it with a turbo? I also want to run a 5spd trany. will a trans from a firebird work?

Give Billy Graham Camaro/Firebird salvage a call. About a year ago I spoke with him about a '97 'bird 3800/T5 setup with all accessories, exhaust, wiring, computer, driveshaft. Everything, 8000 miles for $1500 plus shipping. If I believe what I hear, the 6 cylinders use a Ford Wordclass T5. I'm not sure if the front driver block has same motormounts/bellhousing as the rear driver or if it is drilled for a pilot bushing.

I got my motor apart today, has anyone use one of the PAW kits for their motor? the kits seem very reasonable, or is it better to use my existing crank and go with JE, or any other aftermaket pistons? I think I any going to leave my motor NA for now so I'm hoping for 250hp. I might try to graph the fuel ingection and supercharger off of a wrecked car I found. but the guy wants alittle to much for it right now. I found a t5 trans for my car but I need a bellhousing will the one from a v6 firebird work or should I go with an aftermarket? thanks for all the info this is really my first transplant, I'm good at building drag bikes but love my zx.

Guest Anonymous

I've heard no bad things about PAW, they just put together a kit from various vendors like everyone else, shouldn't be a concern. If the crank looks ok and isn't deeply scored, maybe undercut it .010 and get .010 bearings and call it good. Either way should be fine.

The stock throttle body on a supercharged 3.8 might contact the firewall, but theres probably a easy solution, like maybe just a custom u-bend to get the throttle body facing forward. Can't say for sure, those sort of things will need to be checked out in the install.

BTW what sort of drag bikes do you build? Sounds cool, you shouldn't have a problem with it with those sort of skills under your belt. Good luck with it.

Regards,

Lone

my project is underway. I will use the stock crank, port and polish the heads, new pistons and a mild cam. I desided to sacrifice hp for fuel milage and reliability. maybe after I get the subframe and body (going to cut the rear behind the tires off and make a C5 corvette rear)

after the cars done I might try to make an AWD z. I just bought a wrecked typhoon with a bad engine.