HybridZ

96+ GM 3.8 HP gains?

Guest jdllaugh

I contemplated one of these for a Z swap for awhile, nice balance of power and price. It is just like a GN motor without a turbo for all intents and purpose. A free flowing exhaust, a mild cam upgrade, and chip should get you close to 230. Pocket porting the heads and needle bearing rockers should put you around 250. If you don't have a motor/trans yet, check out Billy Graham Camaro/Firebird salvage. When I spoke with him a year or so ago, he had a '97 'bird motor with 7k miles on it. Complete with all accessories, exhaust, fuel, wiring, computer and T5 trans with driveshaft for $1500.

Guest jdllaugh

The stock 3.8 in a Camaro is supposed to get 200 hp. Is there any combination of add-ons/upgrades that would get that figure into the 250 hp range, without forced induction or a whiff from the magic bottle?

Anybody tuning these engines? I can't find anything on the web after hours of surfing.

Guest jdllaugh

Thanks Mike. I think a 3.8 would make for a fun ride. My goal has been to have a car with a power to weight ratio of about 1 hp for every 10 lbs of weight.

I have a 72 240z and have just begun the teardown process. I'm still on the fence as to a V6 or V8.

But I'm more into road racing than drag racing, and I think the 3.8 would make for a light, agile car with plenty of power.

By the way, I was just on the F-body site for Camaros. They claim a cold-air intake, cat back exhaust system and computer reprogramming can get you to the 240-245 range. Ad headers and you're right at 250!

My local Camaro salvage said they would sell me a complete motor, trans, computer, etc. for $1,000. The idea is looking better and better.