HybridZ

gtp 3800 swap to rwd 5spd?

Guest jdllaugh

Guest jdllaugh

Guy locally has a supercharged 3800 Series II V6 out of a '96 Grand Prix GTP for sale. Can these motors be used in a rear wheel drive configuration using the T5 tranny out of a Camaro? Would it be a straight bolt up? Obviously would have to change the exhaust manifolds and other things, but is this doable? eek2.gif

Guest Anonymous

The only caviate that I'm somewhat aware of is the throttle body will get into the firewall I think (unless its moved forward a bit which with a V6 wouldn't hurt probably), I'm sure there has to be a 90 (or 180) degree turn available otherwise to prevent the TB from getting into the firewall.

I researched this combo a bit and it is one of my more favorite Z swap Idea's, I'd love to see one converted, pump up the boost a bit, and man, good street hp, whats not to like?

Regards,

Lone

Guest jdllaugh

So that bolt patterns for the rwd/fwd transmissions are the same? A Camaro T5 would bolt up? :eek:

Given that the V6 is shorter than the V8, putting the front of the V6 in the same location as the front of the V8 should provide room for routing a high-flow air intake into the back. Of course, then you end up with concerns about shifter placement. I think those challenges would be minor compared to wiring up the beast!

It's a very tempting idea if the trans bolts up without major fabrication. smile.gif

Guest Anonymous

I know the earlier ones fit up no problem, this series II corporate motor, I'm not sure, I think they didn't change it, but I don't know for sure. Let us know if you find out, thats a good swap.

Regards,

Lone

I'm pretty sure the 3800 has the BOP bellhousing so you would have to swap bellhousings on the T5. I think Mcleod makes a dual pattern bellhousing that will mount the T5. Or you can use a BOP bellhousing and drill out the "ears" on the trans to the larger bolt size of the standard thread bellhousing from the smaller metric fastener of the T5.

I saw one of these engines with a T5 behind it on ebay a few months ago, so I guess it could be done. You might want to check out www.clubgp.com --go to the forums area, and read about some of the problems going on about mods, just for good measure--there are now a few reprogrammed PCM's, new pulleys, etc for those motors--but it seems like one of the weak points is #3 piston--a lot of people frying that one for some reason-only applies to modded motors so far, but if you're gonna put it in a Z, it's not like you're gonna leave it stock either