HybridZ

3000gt?

Guest eric-z

Maybe you could mate a different tranny up to the engine, to make it rear wheel drive only.. I mean why not just fab up a way to bolt in a T5 tranny using a modified bell housing?

The stock engine mounts would have to go, and new ones would have to be fabbed some how. It might be hard to fab the mounts because the turbos may be in the way, but with the accesories out of the way it may give room.

By the way guys, I think I have my `95 3000GT sold finally. My mistake was to buy a base model when everyone out in the world considering buying a 3000GT at this point wants a VR4 because the prices have dropped drastricly. 2 1/2" years ago I bought my 50K mile 3000GT for $17K and now I'm selling for $9,900 with only 10K miles put on the car! I should have invested in a 3rd gen RX7, or a MKIV Supra. I'm unhappy but I guess if I would have held onto the car much longer I would have lost even more money.. SO, these engines can probably be had for cheap. Buy a whole `90 3000GT VR4 with a busted tranny, or blown head gasket, freshen up the engine stick it in your Z, then part out the car. You will probably end up making money (almost like someone paid you to install the engine in your car).

Things to consider, the timing belt should be changed every 60K miles. These engines are a pain in the ass to do maintenence on. To change the timing chain you have to undo the engine mount. To change the back spark plugs you have to take off the intake manifold!

Not a fun engine to work on, but has great potential. Because of the AWD in those cars they can really hook up well. They are heavy bastards though.

Guest eric-z

I was wondering if anyone has attempted to put a mitsubishi 3000gt twin turbo engine into a z.... sorry if this is a dumb question I'm young and ignorant

eric-z

Originally posted by eric-z:

I was wondering if anyone has attempted to put a mitsubishi 3000gt twin turbo engine into a z.... sorry if this is a dumb question I'm young and ignorant

eric-z

I don't think so, and I think it would be pretty tough to do. The engine is mounted transverse in a VERY wide engine bay. That swap would be a 9.5/10 on the scale of difficulty.

I think if people were doing it, or even seriously thinking about doing it, there would be a forum about it on this site.

I don't *think* it would be too much more difficult than a 3.0LTT swap from a later Z...

The DOHC 3.0L was used in the Montero's in a few models, although, it was restroked and bored to 3.5L. Montero SR if I remember right...

But, for the difficulty of the swap, I think I'd just go with a 2JZ.