HybridZ

What engine?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey all. Im a Student in New Zealand and would like some advice. I've got a 1981 S130 2+2 with a L20E and low ratio box. Im thinking of doing a engine swap for more power as I think it would too hard to get power out of this engine. In NZ we have heaps of Jap imports, so parts are really cheap. Like $600US for a R33 Skyline turbo engine. Would I be better getting an old L28ET and throughing some money and a big turbo at that. I would apprechiate any advice as to what would be a good engine conversion for this car. I know you Yanks love your big cube Chevs, but in NZ a Japanese conversion makes a lot more sense as parts are so cheap. I also love 6's. ; )

You should go for the Nissan sixes!!! They have very strong internals and respond extremely well to modifications. Then, when you feel like that you are craving more power, its just a matter of getting the performance parts catalogue out and picking up the phone to order some!!! You wont regret having an RB in an early zed, if they can make 1400kg cars do 11s and 10s, immagine what a lighter car can do! Plus you dont have the hassles of having to build an engine, 'cause they'll work fine to as a start from the wrecker, plug and play (as long as its not shot!)

I agree with everyone else here. But here's a twist: there's nothing cooler than a hybrid motor in a hybrid Z. Those 3.0L RB30DETT's are starting to pop up. Basically a n/a RB30 SOHC block mated to the RB26DETT head. MMM..... flamedevil.gif

Hi all,

note that the RB30 came out, both: n/a as well as turbo!

These were available in Holden VL Commodores in Australia

Yes, there is an increase in capacity in using the RB30 blocks, but the design theory behind the RB26DETT is that it has a short stroke which enables it to rev faster and higher! (if the RB30 was better than RB26DETT than why didnt Nissan use those in the GTRs?)

• 2 weeks later...

Since your in Kiwi you shouldnt have any problems with Engine Choices. If you ask me forget the L28ET...well at least bringing one in from the US. Just turbo an L28 you find lying around in a junkyard....if done right they can be just as good as a factory L28ET. I say that if you want a decent amount of power on a budget go for an RB20DET or a 1JZGTE. If you want big power go 2JZGTE or RB26DETT. Nissan engines are great, but so are Toyota motors.

RB30ET would be nice as well but I know that in Australia they cost way to much for what they are. Similar story in NZ im sure. Didnt you guys in NZ also get another version of the Commodore VL turbo? wasnt it a 2 litre or something??