HybridZ

GM's new 4200 I6 in a 240z?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Howdy.

I am looking for a 240z to modify, and wanted to tap your thoughts on the possibility of using GM's new 4200 straight-six for the powerplant. Has anybody ever seen/considered this conversion? Would it work/be a good idea?

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/jk/at_010424.htm

I'm a long time fan of the Z, but I'm new to this website. My dad has a late-1970 240z with an L28 stroked and bored to 3.0L, ported, polished, shaved pistons, triple Mikuni's, headers, ignition, 5spd, 4.38 rear-diff, etc. Not as quick as some of your cars, but a definitely a joy to drive.

Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the 4200,

Jeff

This was actually covered before, search this board,(the Alternate L6 board).

While I know it is an incredible engine,(I drove the Trailblazer), think about the engine height. It fits upright in a trailblazer/envoy. Our Z does not have that kind of vertical clearance in the engine bay. The height was posted somewhere, and unless you are into serious cowl hoods, it appears to not be an option.

Second, you are locked into the automatic it comes with unless you spend a pretty penny to have an adapter and custom flywheel made for some manual tranny.

But your right, a great design, and I think we will see more about this engine in the next few years. My biggest complaint was you needed to get it above about 4k before it really started moving. But take that motor and put it in a Z that weighs half as much... smile.gif

There are much better options for the $$ it would require to put it in, for they aren't exactly populating junkyards yet. My bottom line: I don't think it is a good candidate for a hybrid conversion. In addition, take a look at the oil sump. It is a forward sump, which would sit right on the front crossmember. You are talking about a custom oil pan to make it work in the Z. Any motor can be put in the Z, but some just aren't good ideas. The jag V-12 is an example. I think this falls into this category.

Next question. You say you are looking for a 240 to modify? Does that mean you are not going to be driving your Dad's, but rather want one of your own? I would not reccomend a serious swap for your first experience owning a Z. I suggest to people that they buy a good 240 and mod the motor lightly learning the brakes/suspension, etc.. about the car. You learn to appreciate what your later hybrid is if you start that way. And your dad's car doesn't sound like a slouch either, esp. with 4:38 gears. If you tackle a conversion first, you will have a lot of down time with your Z before you get to drive it. I suggest buying a driver, and working on it with keeping down time to a few days at most initially. Drive it for at least a year, then you will know what you really want.

-Bob